Dear Techie friends,
    Here goes what I consider a stumper. I am having problems running my
Encarta CD on an IBM Pentium WIndows 95 computer. I had Encarta 97 and
developed this problem and recently loaded Encarta 2000 (single disk
version) hoping that would solve it, but, if anything, it is worse.
    This is the problem:
        When I click on the icon for Encarta (which I access through a
program called Tamper proof--- a cheap security program that simply sets
up a desktop menu from which kids need a password to escape), the
program opens, but then either immediately or upon first click on the
program, it disappears completely, leaving a blank screen. I do an
Alt-Control-Delete and get a list of open programs. This first thing
listed is something called "SHRUIL Tooltip Controller." I highlight that
and click "end task" and Encarta reappears, but 50 percent of the time
the keyboard will not register when you type and I have to close it and
start over or reboot the whole computer and start again.
    i am sorry I am now at home and didn't think to copy down more
precise information on the computer. It is connected to a network server
using Novell 3.12, but Encarta is accessed through the local CD Drive. I
have searched in File Manager for such a file and looked in a Windows 95
manual and searched on the internet for the term SHRUIL Tooltip
Controller, but no luck.
    Any suggestions?

        Judith Schaffner, librarian
        I.S. 218