Hi folks,

A subcommittee of our district media advisory committee met last Thursday
to look at revising our Internet Acceptable Use Policy
<http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/guidelines.html> and web page guidelines
<http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/webguide.html>.

The following items questions were generated that we felt would need some
reflection. I would be very interested in reactions to any or all of them!
Some of them are genuine stumpers, I think.

1. How can we be sure the staff knows about and knows the policy and
guidelines? Do these need to be treated any differently than other policies
and guidelines in the district? Don't teachers in signing their contracts
agree to abide by all school policies? Do staff and students really
understand that their privacy is limited when using school systems  - as it
is in the business world?

2. How much longer can we state that Internet access is a privilege rather
than a right? Is it possible to get a full education without Internet
access in our district?

3. Both policies and guidelines say that staff and students may not use the
system for conducting a business. Should teachers be allowed to link to
other pages they have that may or may not be business related on other sites?

4. Should independent webpage creators who make pages for schools or
departments be able to "sign" their work with links back to their webpage
creation businesses?

5. Do links to awards constitute advertising?

6. Should all webpage servers in the district be subject to the same
guidelines as the main server?

7. How do we deal with students using the Internet that are too young to
read and perhaps understand our policies?

8. How should we deal with the use of "live" Internet cameras on our website?

9. How do we know if our website is ADA compliant?

10. Who should "enforce" these guidelines for the main district server? For
servers that may be created in individual buildings?

Any comment or feedback on one or more of these questions is very welcome!
As always, I'll post a hit in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Doug

Doug Johnson, Director of Media and Technology
I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713
Voice: 507-387-7698, Fax: 507-387-2496
E-mail: johnsd9@mail.mankato.msus.edu
or:     djohns1@mail.isd77.k12.mn.us
http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/staffdir/staff2/Johnson_Doug.html
...eventually you realize that you are in the problem
business, and that it's a good business to be in
because the market never dries up.
Dale
Dauten