Greetings:

    One of our sixth-grade science teachers is on the second step of a grant
process to enable her students to create children's books on the biomes
(deciduous forests, coniferous forests, tundra, desert, rainforest, etc.)
She envisions that the students might research, write, illustrate, and
produce children's books in the manner of Jean Craighead George's A Day in
the Woods, Prairie, etc. series or some other such books.

    I would appreciate your recommendations for the following types of
resources that you have used with success at middle school.  If you can also
recommend related titles in Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian -- or
bi-lingual books -- that would be so helpful as we have many families who
speak these languages.

     - reference books and videos on the biomes.
        (We have the new Grolier Biomes series and love it.)

    -  children's books on individual biomes
        (fiction and non-fiction; picture books are o.k.,too.)

    -  books or videos on the making of books

    -  software titles on the subject of biomes, either combined or
individually

    -  production software for students to use in the creation of the books
(Has                anyone used Pagemaker or Photoshop with this age group?)

    I must prepare a list of resources by March 1st for this exciting
project.  If you have resources to suggest, the more details you can supply
(title, author, supplier,series, comment, etc.), the better.

    Also, if you have done a book making project with middle school students
and can offer suggestions of how the books were created, that would be very
helpful.

    Thank you all, once again, for "being there" and and for being a
tremendous resource.

Best wishes,

Cathy Rosenstock, LMS
Marlborough Middle School