Colleagues,
Our 60's era libraries are finally getting a chance for some updating.
Nothing structural but possibly new furniture, carpeting, etc.

Currently we have computers sitting on just about every kind of object you
can imagine from old Apple II carts to classroom tables to tops of card
catalog cabinets.  It's workable, but it's ugly.  We have a snakes nest of
wires and cords running everywhere.

We are also very space-challenged and constantly having to move things around
when we change activities.  I can't really figure out any way to fit in the
setup I would really like. So I'm struggling for the best alternative.  Here
are the questions.

  1.  Do any of you use tables or stands with pull out keyboard shelves in an
elementary school?  The Sales rep says they are a maintenance nightmare as
kids are too rough on them.  I know our kids are getting worse and worse
about taking care of things.  I shudder when I see what they do to books
nowadays.  So I'm asking for the benefit of your experience about keyboard
shelves, good or bad.

2. How about the tables with the slot to fit the monitor down into it so that
you are looking down at it instead of up?  Does this work for elementary
school?  I notice that these have been around a while, and they seem like a
good idea.  But they don't seem to be taking over the market.  I have never
actually seen one in a school or anywhere else for that matter.

3.  Finally in the event that there does not turn out to be enough money to
buy new computer furniture, can anyone recommend any kind of cable management
system which could be used with what we have improve the way the cords look.
We have 5 computers grouped around a central column, sharing a total of 4
outlets.  Between regular multi-outlet strips and the use of carts with extra
plugins we have a  total of 18 places to plug things in all in one spot. It's
probably dangerous as well as ugly. There seems to be no way to hide any of
the cords or wires as none of them are against the wall.  Whatever I use,
unless I get furniture with a channel, would be in plain sight.  I have seen
pictures of tubing which would still not be very pretty but might be neater
if it works.  Does it?  We also need for at least one of these computers to
be movable as it is connected with a very long network wire and has to be
taken to the other side of the library to when we want to use the LCD panel
to demonstrate something.

I wish I knew an architect or an interior designer, but as I don't and have
to submit proposals for what I want complete with model numbers, vendors, and
prices in the immediate future, I'm turning to you for advise.

Paula Neale, LMS
Ingels Elementary School
Kansas City, MO  64134
816-316-7855