Gee, I almost missed this posting!  I guess this might be something "up my
alley."

I would suggest that reading specific journals such as "Journal of Visual
Impairment and Blindness,"  "Teaching Exceptional Children,"  "RE:View,"
"Journal of Special Education," "Braille Forum," "Braille Monitor," or
"Future Reflections" for information about the resources available to the
blind for accessing informational resources in the library.   (My favorites
are J.V.I.B. and RE:View.)

However, to make print materials accessible, most blind students / adults
use scanners with software programs that speak.  I am attaching only a few
links that provide access to some of the major vendors of these products.
(We use Open Book which allows us to scan text for reading print; we use
JAWS for Windows for accessing electronic documents (computer generated or
for the Internet--usually used best with Internet Explorer), and we use
ZoomText to enlarge print documents (or CD Rom software) from regular print
to extremely large print to accommodate the students  / library patrons.)

Some of the best links to start with might be:

Blindness Resource Center:  http://www.nyise.org/blind.htm

Blindness Related Resources:  http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/blind.html

Adapted Computer Technology:  http://www.compuaccess.com/

These all list several vendors that offer products and information
concerning their use.  Each patron's needs will be different depending upon
factors such as interest in the use of the Internet for informational needs,
use of scanners for print documents, ability to utilize technology, braille
skills (for refreshable braille displays), etc.  However, most of these
programs are specialized and widely used by those within the "blind
community."  The cost depends upon how detailed you want the program ~~ or
how much you want to access and how "techie" you want to get.  We purchased
JAWS and ZoomText for one computer system ~~ the cost with a scanner was
around $3500.  (At our school we just set up a network system with over 120
computers throughout the school, including the library and the classrooms.
The cost for installing a network system with astronomical!!  ~~"it ain't
cheap!"

Hope this helps!   (If you need more links, more info, or more connections
to those who might be utilizing these pieces of software, please respond to
me personally!)

Shonda Brisco
LMS
Oklahoma School for the Blind (for only 2 more days...then...
Assistant Professor of Curriculum Materials
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
cowboys@ok.azalea.net  (home)