I need some first-hand information.  My school has Accelerated Reader, and
it has been used sparingly for several reasons.  It is only on one computer
in the library, because not all teachers have a computer in the classroom.
Several teachers want to expand the program to grades that did not
participate before.  I think this is a good idea; I'd love to do it, but I
have some real concerns:

First, the lack of access the students will have.  I have the one
stand-alone with AR; however, networking it through our regular library
system "may" be an option (I'm investigating.)

Second, I will be the person in charge of the whole works!  We have an
enrollment of about 750; I'm here full time; have limited student help.  We
have a semi-fixed schedule; PK - 3rd come every other week for 30-40 min.;
4th and 5th (when they manage to get here!!) are scheduled every other week
for 15 min. for whole class check-out (and I just hate it!!!)  I get lots of
individual book-exchange traffic, but mostly from the younger students.

I tried to go flex schedule two years ago and the upper grade teachers
pitched a hissy fit; the principal made me schedule a time for them, which
very few of them use.

Which brings me to this:  How important is it to have flexible scheduling in
order to have a successful AR program?  It seems to me that it would just
about be essential, but I would like to hear some first-hand reports.  I
checked the archives, but really did not find what I was looking for.

TIA - I'm beginning to think about next year, and need some ammunition!
Please reply to me personally.

Lizz Timmons
Librarian, Sagamore Hill Elementary
Fort Worth, TX