Dear LM_Netters,
    I'm reposting this.  I don't what happened with my first attempt.
    I know the best way to find out the real truth about a program--and
whether it really works-- is to contact the librarians at LMNET.  As of
today, I have been given the opportunity to write a proposal for a K-3
reading initiative for my school through the Reading Excellence Act.  I have
fewer than nine days to put the proposal together.  I'm looking at several
programs--of course they all sound good on paper.   My school is low S.E.S.,
Title I, etc.
    Has anyone had the opportunity to train or work with the "Carbo Reading
Styles Program?"   I need to hear from you.  Also, we have been using the
Spalding Phonics program for several years.  The Title I schools are planning
to discontinue the use because we've not had good results.  Project READ has
been suggested as a possible alternative.   I know absolutely nothing about
it, but I'm sure some of you will be familiar with it.
      I know you've all seen programs come and go.  What are the best phonics
and instructional  reading programs out there?  My project must be
research-based and contain a phonics, reading, and writing component for
balanced literacy.  It must be innovative and go beyond a basal reader.
Whatever  program we use, I'll continue using AR as our motivational reading
program.  I'm using a technology/writing  proposal I submitted a few weeks
ago as a starting point.  Please let me hear from you.  I'll be glad to post
a hit if there is enough interest.

TIA,
Jan McGee, LMS
Mitchell Elementary School