--------------E48398EFE0278EA6BF38E841

Again, thanks to those who sent suggestions for the definitions of
literary genre.  I received the followins suggestions from LM_NET
collegues:

“The __Middleplots__ series lists very basic genres. Other plot-type
books might, too.
For general genres used in K-12 libraries, I think I would thumb through
suppliers' catalogs and look at their labels for genres. The following
URL might help, too:
http://www.cmrls.org/officialdocuments/depositschool.html
Children's lit books would.”

Following the last suggestion, I scoured our stacks and consulted
Children & Books, 9th ed. By Zena Sutherland, 1997.  Addison-Wesley.
0-673-99733-2.  The following are the genres and definitions I will use
until something better comes along.  They are based on the information
in the Sutherland book, with some adaptations of my own.

Picture Books – stories built around one or two themes; illustrations
are an integral part of the storytelling

Folklore, Fairy Tales & Tall Tales – stories of challenge and
achievement of rigorous tasks to survive over strong obstacles; kindness
and goodness triumph over evil when backed by wisdom, wit and courage.
Such tales contribute to one’s social conscience.  Are a “mirror” of a
group of folk, showing their reactions to their world by bringing to
light wisdom, emotions and beliefs. Come out of human traditions of
story telling; pass along values of the group.

Fables, Myths and Epics – have quality of universality; may contain
complex symbolism under a stories of drama, courage, & high deeds.
A fable tells a specific story so readers understand and remember a
moral lesson.
Myths are more complicated, tied to sacred beliefs, and explain
realities of life.  Myths might explain why things occur in nature
(porquoi tales) or tell of interactions among and with gods.
Epics are tales of human heroes who often emerge as legendary characters
who have accomplished memorable feats.

Fantasy – stories with magic and/or supernatural happenings that present
a totally different reality.  There is a self-contained logic that works
within the story even though it concerns things that cannot really
happen or creatures who do not exist.

Science Fiction – stories that take a scientific principle and add
imagination.  Often a vehicle to comment on what science might create,
willingly or unwillingly.

Poetry – poems use rhyme, rhythm and evocative words to give inward
vision and understanding of feelings and experiences.  Words used in a
musical way.

Realistic Fiction – stories of modern life with characters who encounter
present-day dilemmas, problems and difficulties; these stories can
broaden readers’ social understanding and empathy for others.
Subdivisions within this genre include Stories about minority groups,
stories set in other countries, humorous fiction, family fiction, school
or peer-group Stories, animal stories, sports stories, mystery and
adventure.

Historical Fiction – stories that give readers a historically accurate
portrayal of life in a past time period via an exciting plot, vivid
characters and a strong sense of place and time.

Biography & Autobiography – nonfiction stories of the lives of
individuals.  Qualities needed include authenticity, objectivity,
documentation, and details.

Informational Books – nonfiction books written by credible authors to
provide facts about any of the various subjects of interest to or needed
by readers.  Watch for accuracy, timeliness, organization and scope,
format, author’s credentials.  Common topics are biological sciences,
physical sciences, social sciences, religion, the arts, activities and
experiments.

Marsha Filipiak
Elementary Librarian
Cairo (Egypt) American College
filipiak@intouch.com

--------------E48398EFE0278EA6BF38E841

<HTML>
Again, thanks to those who sent suggestions for the definitions of literary
genre.&nbsp; I received the followins suggestions from LM_NET collegues:

<P>“The __Middleplots__ series lists very basic genres. Other plot-type
books might, too.
<BR>For general genres used in K-12 libraries, I think I would thumb through
suppliers' catalogs and look at their labels for genres. The following
URL might help, too: <A
HREF="http://www.cmrls.org/officialdocuments/depositschool.html">http://www.cmrls.org/officialdocuments/depositschool.html</A>
<BR>Children's lit books would.”

<P>Following the last suggestion, I scoured our stacks and consulted
<B><I><U>Children
&amp; Books</U></I></B>, 9th ed. By Zena Sutherland, 1997.&nbsp;
Addison-Wesley.&nbsp;
0-673-99733-2.&nbsp; The following are the genres and definitions I will
use until something better comes along.&nbsp; They are based on the information
in the Sutherland book, with some adaptations of my own.

<P><B>Picture Books</B> – stories built around one or two themes; illustrations
are an integral part of the storytelling

<P><B>Folklore, Fairy Tales &amp; Tall Tales</B> – stories of challenge
and achievement of rigorous tasks to survive over strong obstacles; kindness
and goodness triumph over evil when backed by wisdom, wit and courage.&nbsp;
Such tales contribute to one’s social conscience.&nbsp; Are a “mirror”
of a group of folk, showing their reactions to their world by bringing
to light wisdom, emotions and beliefs. Come out of human traditions of
story telling; pass along values of the group.

<P><B>Fables, Myths and Epics</B> – have quality of universality; may contain
complex symbolism under a stories of drama, courage, &amp; high deeds.
<BR>A fable tells a specific story so readers understand and remember a
moral lesson.
<BR>Myths are more complicated, tied to sacred beliefs, and explain realities
of life.&nbsp; Myths might explain why things occur in nature (porquoi
tales) or tell of interactions among and with gods.
<BR>Epics are tales of human heroes who often emerge as legendary characters
who have accomplished memorable feats.

<P><B>Fantasy</B> – stories with magic and/or supernatural happenings that
present a totally different reality.&nbsp; There is a self-contained logic
that works within the story even though it concerns things that cannot
really happen or creatures who do not exist.

<P><B>Science Fiction</B> – stories that take a scientific principle and
add imagination.&nbsp; Often a vehicle to comment on what science might
create, willingly or unwillingly.

<P><B>Poetry</B> – poems use rhyme, rhythm and evocative words to give
inward vision and understanding of feelings and experiences.&nbsp; Words
used in a musical way.

<P><B>Realistic Fiction</B> – stories of modern life with characters who
encounter present-day dilemmas, problems and difficulties; these stories
can broaden readers’ social understanding and empathy for others.&nbsp;
Subdivisions within this genre include Stories about minority groups, stories
set in other countries, humorous fiction, family fiction, school or peer-group
Stories, animal stories, sports stories, mystery and adventure.

<P><B>Historical Fiction</B> – stories that give readers a historically
accurate portrayal of life in a past time period via an exciting plot,
vivid characters and a strong sense of place and time.

<P><B>Biography &amp; Autobiography</B> – nonfiction stories of the lives
of individuals.&nbsp; Qualities needed include authenticity, objectivity,
documentation, and details.

<P><B>Informational Books</B> – nonfiction books written by credible authors
to provide facts about any of the various subjects of interest to or needed
by readers.&nbsp; Watch for accuracy, timeliness, organization and scope,
format, author’s credentials.&nbsp; Common topics are biological sciences,
physical sciences, social sciences, religion, the arts, activities and
experiments.

<P>Marsha Filipiak
<BR>Elementary Librarian
<BR>Cairo (Egypt) American College