Is the student using a computer with no software adaptations?  If so, you
need to allow him/her access to the Internet or computer with software
programs that allow him / her to access the information in printed format
through speech or refreshable braille displays (another program).  One
program for speech that we use is called JAWS for Windows and it allows a
blind student to use keypad commands to access the computer for word
processing or the Internet (best used with Explorer rather than Netscape).

I have posted information concerning these programs on LM_NET before, so if
you will check at the bottom of this email message and go directly to
ARCHIVES, searching through this area using subjects such as "blind"
"blindness" "computer software adaptations" or "access to information by the
blind" --- you should be able to retrieve these postings with hyperlinks to
the websites that have great information about where to purchase this type
of equipment.

If you want additional information, please contact me directly and I will be
happy to help!

Hope this is helpful!

Shonda Brisco
LMS
Oklahoma School for the Blind (last day....now
Assistant Professor of Curriculum Materials
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma
cowboys@ok.azalea.net (home)