Here are the suggestions I received in answer of my request for books to
be used with - or in place of - To Kill a Mockingbird.

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!

Toby Z
   ***************************

The Client - Grisham  - no trial, but I always thought it could replace
Mockingbird with less motivated readers.

   *****************************

The new book Monster by Walter Dean Myers involves the trial of a teenager.

   ****************************

Midwives by Chris Boholian   (sp)

The Reader  by Bernhard    (Oprah Book)

**********************************

Here's some books with related themes to To Kill a Mockingbird:

Words by Heart by Ouida Sebestyen
More than Meets the Eye by Jeanne Betancourt
The Day That Elvis Came to Town by Jan Marino
All Together Now by Sue Ellen Bridgers
The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest Gaines
Let the Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred Taylor (This novel is preceded by Roll
of  Thunder, Hear My Cry and followed by The Road to Memphis)

   *****************************

Ellen's Case by Lois Metzger

    ***************************

Perfect compliment for TKM is Roll of  Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D.
Taylor.  The other side of the story.

    ***************************

Subject: Not really a trial...

but interesting reading--
Avi's Nothing But the Truth

********************************
 I always thought that Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
would work well with To Kil A Mockingbird. TKAM is one of my all time
favorite books. I first read it when I was a teenager, shortly after its
publication and before it became the classic that it is today.

Isn't "Monster" by Walter Dean Myers
(http://www.ala.org/booklist/v95/youth/my1/57myers.html)about a trial?

How Aobut Grisham's The Client