Dear Colleagues:
Like elementary librarians in many states, humane education is not mandated,
but is an important aspect of education.  I try to collect and infuse humane
education into my library curriculum.  I am interested in your thoughts (do
you do anything in this area or are you interested in doing something).  Even
if you only reach a few children, you could make a big difference in the
lives of many animals, particularly in the dog and cat overpopulation
problem.  Just imagine if every one of you participated, what a difference it
could make!  A number of titles regarding stray dogs and cats are:
        Lane, Judith Buster, Where are You?  (Perseverance in finding lost
dog)
        Gregory, Nan How Smudge Came.
        Bowman, Eddie Silly Dog.
        Lyon, George Ella, a Traveling Cat.
        Rylant, Cynthia Henry & Mudge & the Happy Cat.
        Rand, Gloria A Home for Spooky.  (based on true story)
        Pringle, Laurence Naming the Cat.
        Wells, Rosemary McDuff Moves In.
        Thomas, Jane Resh Scaredy Dog.
        Driscoll, Laura The Bravest Cat: the True Story of Scarlett. (nonficti
on)
        Barracca, Debra The Adventures of Taxi Dog.  (rhyming text)
    And of course Wanda Gag's Millions of Cats, unfortunately is a reality.
If you have a character education curriculum many of these titles would fit
into the character traits of caring, compassion, responsibility, &
perseverance.  Below are other titles that deal with other humane issues:
        Jeschke, Susan Perfect the Pig.  (animals used for entertainment)
        Houk, Randy Hope (pig rescued by Farm Sanctuary, nonfiction)
        Naylor, Phyllis Reynolds Shiloh.  (the plight of many beagles)
        Rylant, Cynthia Bookshop Dog.
        Rylant, Cynthia Every Living Thing (collection of stories)
        Houk, Randy Chessie: the Traveling Man. (true story of
conservationists who            help a manatee, also great for 4th grade sea
animals reports)
Sources of information regarding humane education are:
    National Association for Humane & Environmental Education
    http://www.nahee.org/   (check out their "Sharing Sam" flannel board set)
    The ASPCA  (check out their Kids, Animals & Literature bibliography)
    http://www.ASPCA.org/educate/educate.htm
    National Humane Education Society
    http://www.nhes.org
Thank you all.  I look forward to hearing from you!
Stephanie Bucalo, School Librarian
Belmont Elementary School
North Babylon, New York
Bucste@aol.com