I teach at a k-2 school, but the students' older siblings in the middle
school exclaimed at Open House that they wish they had something like this
at their school: We put the barcode labels on tongue depressors so the kids
can use them as shelf markers as well as their "library card" when they
check out. We also use them to slip into the books that the children can
ask to have on 2-day hold until they bring back one of the books they have
at home. We have found that using the sticks as shelf markers really cuts
down on the books being shoved back in the wrong place when they change
their minds! It saves us time at the checkout as we train them to line up
the "Winnie likes skinny" barcodes (the other publisher barcodes on the
books are almost always fatter!) next to their stick barcode. Checkout is a
breeze, even with the new kindergartners each year.

We store the sticks in the old card catalog drawers so the children need to
read the teachers' names on the front of the drawer. Each stick has, at one
end, the child's first three letters of his/her last name (to mimic the
call # pattern on the books) as well as the first three letters of the
teacher's last name on the other end. This way if a stick gets misplaced,
we know right away where it should be. Also, it helps them to recognize
their last name and their own stick if more than one stick is in an area.

Each class has a stick leader who arranges the sticks on a table as I greet
the others, is responsible for making sure all the sticks get claimed and
then takes any absent sticks to my aide. We count the sticks near the end
of the session so we know if anyone hasn't checked out. It's a great way to
ensure no one walks out with a book not seen by "Winnie", a name
affectionately given to our Winnebago scanner. We even put eyelashes on
"her" to liven up the training lessons about checkout procedures and the
necessity of coming to see her!

This may not work in your situation, but after using sheets with the patron
names or scanning the books in as the kids walked in, we find the sticks to
save so much time and the kids love the independence of the system. I
encourage them to learn their number and next week will be teaching them
how to fill out a form for independent checkout when someone isn't right at
the desk to help them (I do have a fixed schedule but they also come in any
time during the week to get new books as soon as they finish the ones they
have). These little ones love to do "grownup" things and can be quite adept
at our systems. We just wish Winnebago would go back to larger size type as
we are all going blind trying to read the tiny print! Hope this is helpful.

Kathy Shaffer, Library/Media Teacher
Betsy Ross Library, School Dist. 23
700 N. Schoenbeck Rd., Prospect Hts. IL 60070
kshaffer@d23.org
phone: 847.870.3897
FAX:   847.870.3898