As I received many requests to post a hit, and only a few of responses this
will be short, but I feel I'm getting closer to a final format! Here they
are and thanks to those of you who have tried this and shared, it's much
appreciated. :-)Deb

1) The only thing I have used (and it's rough, but an approximation) is a
tally sheet at the circ desk where my aide and I try to put a tally for
each unplanned task that requires our time and attention.  There are 3
categories: Teacher/Staff (which also includes parents); Students; and
Computer Lab.  It has been helpful to have some indication of where the
time goes, or why you are so tired at the end of the day and none of your
work is done.  I modelled it after one I saw at our public library at the
reference desk.

2)I've never done what you're proposing, although it seems like a good
idea.  I will tell you, though, that it was suggested to me when I
started my job as the first elementary librarian my district had ever
had that I keep track of the number of kids in the library.  I did so -
just entered numbers along the right edge of my schedule book as the day
went on (it's set up for appointments on the quarter hour) for each
day.  I total up the day and the week.  A couple of years ago our
distict found itself with a major ($1,000,000) unexpected debt, and
these figures, along with circulation figures, were the only thing that
saved by job.  (Mass. also has no requirement for elementary
librarians.)  Basically, my principal asked what he was going to do with
the 1000 kids who visit the library every week!  I also, once a year, if
possible, make a presentation to the School Committee in the library of
what I do.  Just a half hour, but trying to cover all the stuff I really
do.

3)I have done it for several years for a variety of reasons. I just created
blank spreadsheet (in Works - Excel will also work) and created borders
around each cell. The columns from left to right were: Time start, Time
finish, Activity, Complete?
That may be more detailed than you want but that's how I did it. Sometimes
get so busy that I just fill in the estimated time spent rather than
start/stop times. My activity column will list things like: assist student
locate research material, teach 4th grade class, plan with 3rd grade
teacher
(etc). If an activity was started and not completed (like cataloging a
group
of new materials) I would highlight that column at the end of the day -
those would be the first activities of the next day as time permitted.
A sheet like this is an excellent tool when you are hit with the "I don't
think she's doing very much in there" naysayers that we all have to deal
with. Information is power but so is documentation! Good luck.

4)Let me know what you come up with.  I just tally my time here at school
on a
calendar.  I rarely feel I have time to document my time any more thorough
than that!

Debbie Becker
Librarian
Oneida Castle Elementary