Third grade teacher  came to me for a definitive answer, which I was
unable to give. So I figured I'd ask this wonderful group.

Our school district does not have standard language arts/grammar
textbooks in elementary grades... there is apparently no set guidelines
as to what specifically should be taught in each grade. The teachers
have various grammer/writing textbooks, but nothing consistent across
the district.

 My question is:

 What is the rule about possessive nouns ending in "s". The teacher and
I remember rules from when we were in elem school (late 1970's) that you
just add an apostrophe when the word ends in "s", as in Mrs. Jones'
car.
  If the word does not end in "s" (as in Mr. Brown), you add apostrophe
s.  (Mr. Brown's house).

 Apparently, there may have been a shift in this rule, related to the
number of SYLLABLES in the word that ends in "s". That is, a one
syllable word (like Jones) would get an 's (Jones's) but a two syllable
(or more) word would just get the apostrophe. (Parsons'). There is also
apparently some tie in to Proper names always getting an 's.

Could you plase reply to what is being taught at your school, and what
part of the country you are in... Maybe it is a regional thing? Teacher
is having a dispute with a English professor parent over this, and over
course is trying to prepare the kids for a test on the material.

Thanks!

Suzanne Weinheimer, Librarian, South Mountain School South Orange, NJ
sweinhei@somsd.k12.nj.us

 Thanks!