I am interested in hearing from any high schools that have eliminated or
have considered eliminating a separately signed AUP as a prerequisite for
Internet use.  Specifically, I am wondering if any school has switched to
assuming that all students WILL use Internet as part of their regular
education, and that appropriate behavior in using it is expected just as it
is when a student uses library books, computers, textbooks or any other
instructional material, or in any other behavioral situation on campus. And,
if so, how are students and parents informed of this assumption (via student
handbook, letters home, what?).

Are there any documented cases of school districts being sued by parents
over allowing their students to use Internet?  In my high school of 1700
students, well over 3/4 of the students have submitted signed AUPs, and I
strongly suspect (based on what I hear in my very busy library) that the
remaining students just haven't heard about the requirement (mostly freshmen
and new students) or haven't remembered to bring in their forms.  We have
only one or two students whose parents have specifically denied them access
to Internet.  Yet, I must deny access to the excellent info on Internet,
including several subscription services we have, if a student doesn't have
proof of an AUP on file (in our case, we use a special sticker on their
student card).

Please respond directly to me, unless you feel that this is an item of
interest to many of our LM_NET members.

Thank you!
Cathy Pfahl, Librarian
Mt. Vernon High School