Hello all,
   Lisa's story of the pages taken from the encyclopedia was interesting
since just today I was faced with a student, very upset, because someone had
cut out  neat little rectangles from several inside pages in The Hobbit that
he had checked out.  He had been reading the book, left it in his desk to
change classes and when he came back to his desk, the pages had been cut.
He showed the teacher who questioned the class but, of course, no one knew
anything about it, including the student who sat at his desk during the
intervening period.   I know the student who checked it out and the student
who was using his desk and I am positive neither of them would have done
this.  The boy has said he will replace it and technically it was his
responsibility.  However, this boy's family is not in the best financial
situation and I really hate for them to bear this financial burden.  I am
angry because this is a case of pure and simple vandalism, for who knows
what reason.    I'm really not sure how to deal with this because this is
the first time I've encountered such viciousness against another student.
At this point I am planning on telling him to forget payment but I'd really
like to "get" to the kid who did it.  I am thinking about going to the
homerooms and tell them exactly what I think of this.  How would you all
handle this one?

Joanne Proctor
Most Pure Heart of Mary School
Topeka, KS