All right, I wasn't going to reply, but can't resist any longer. I'm from
the Eastern Shore of Virginia, which lots of people in Va. can't even
locate as part of their state! Its 2 Va. counties, Accomack and
Northampton, that are attached to Maryland and Delaware to make up the
Delmarva Peninsula, and are across the Chesapeake Bay from the rest of Va.
Anyway, when I went to college, I puzzled lots of people by saying things
like "Oh no, the microwave went up!" Translated, it's not working anymore.
We always say that at home, when something stops working. My husband still
laughs about it. My favorite, though, is that people who have moved to the
E.S. are called "come-heres". Now, realize you can live on the Shore for
50 years, and still be known as "that come-here, Mr. Jones." We also only
give directions in terms of minutes, not miles, and landmarks, not street
signs. Imagine an poor come here asking where so-and-so lives, and being
told, "Just drive down road about 10 minutes, then turn left at the
Smiths' old house, ..." Older people say things even I have trouble with -
my grandmother calls a car window a "light" - "go outside and roll up the
car light".
There are lots of others, but that gives you an idea!

Susan Morris, Librarian (left the ocean for the mountains, but still
misses it!)
John C. Myers Elem.
Broadway, VA
scmorris@rockingham.k12.va.us