Audrey Kendrick:
I have worked in school libraries for over 30 years and I also teach in the
School Library Program at Fresno Pacific University. My last four years were
in a middle school. I won't go into the benefits of flexible scheduling
since I hope you already know that, and I assume that you're already in a
situation with fixed times. Here's what I would suggest:

1. Become  very educated about the benefits of information literacy:

* know the concepts in Information Power

* buy some books from Libraries Unlimited and / or Linworth Pub.

* read David Loertscher, subscribe to the best magazine Teacher Librarian.

* take this online class if you're not aware
(http://www.uni.edu/profdev/infolit/faculty.html)

* sign on to the Big6 website (http://www.Big6.com/) and become familiar
with this research / problem solving strategy

* take some of the classes offered to NC librarians I've seen through LM_NET

Once you are feeling stronger with these concepts, (we hope by March),

2. Start to get the support of your principal

* give him/her a summary of Information Power and a copy of the book if they
want to go further.

* get a copy of New Tools for Technology - Resource Based Learning from
Pyramid Media (310-828-7577) to show information power in action. One of the
best videos on this. This is the only one in the series which looks good.

* ask for support for flexible scheduling for the next calendar year -- if
they say trial period go for at least 2 years.

3. Start educating your teachers for next year:

* use the video and talk about how you could work with the kids to teach
information literacy.

How Flexible Scheduling  Works:

* the library is always open to students from the beginning of the day until
the end. If the teacher and students have an immediate information need,
this will definitely facilitate it.

* teachers may send up to 5 students at one time to do research if you have
enough room (you'll eventually be too full). Make sure you know what they're
studying -- call and ask the teacher if you're not sure. If the teacher
makes a habit of not letting you know, explain that they need to come in
advance to discuss it.

* yes, they can still come in to make sure everyone has a book at their
reading level, but that should only be once a month, maximum. And if your
library is large enough, that will happen in one area and your clerk checks
out the books with the teacher assisting the kids, while you are helping
researchers with a second class in another area. More opportunities can be
provided for independent book selection on their own time, or with a pass.
At least this provides a guarantee that the student is there because s/he
wants a book at that time.

* Flexible Scheduling allows the teaching of information literacy.

* teachers who want to do whole class research in the library have to book
an appointment with you one week ahead -- you get to hear their topics,
maybe help them to redirect the assignment especially if you know it's not
'findable', do an ILL, get the books back which may be checked out, and
prepare a lesson around a literacy skill you know they do not have which
they will need for this assignment. The goal of research in the beginning
when they have no skills, is student success.

You and I both know that the kids have few skills. So having the teachers in
there with a whole class allows for  direct teaching by both teachers - you
and the CT. Remember to use the best teaching strategies. For years I
lectured on Readers Guide until I finally saw all of those eyes which had
glazed over. So when I say: don't be boring: there's nothing worse than a
teacher standing up there too long, I know because I've been there and done
that. Lecture, then give group work to practice the skill, then whole group,
and/or individual -- vary your strategies. I call this 'station work' while
my friend calls it 'lab practicals'.

You don't want to teach skills in isolation. If they really need to know how
to use Magazine Article Summaries and be a critical reader (looking for the
most hits), don't teach the card catalog. Make up computer tutorials and
take the onus off you and put the responsibility on the kid. Lesley Farmer,
my computer teacher for my MLS and an author for Libraries Unlimited taught
me this and it was the best thing I'd learned in years (and I had already
been in libraries for 20 years).

The best way is to teach  specific skills sequentially  (K-6) on a 'need to
know and use' basis. So you are creating building blocks. When the kids get
to middle school and or high school they can fly with higher level critical
thinking skills.

The eventual goal is that the teachers always involve you in the planning
stage of the project  so it will be more successful. They may even block out
4-8 days with you to get things done correctly.

A long answer, I hope I didn't lose you in the process.

Margaret Baker
Library Coordinator
Selma USD, CA
mbaker@selma.k12.ca.us