I have used Scholastic's Reading Counts (formerly Electronic Bookshelf),
for 3.5 years at our school.  If used PROPERLY (rereading and retesting
when one fails a test) reading comprehension definitely increases.  I
have not done a scientific blind study, but one of our Special Education
classes is a strong user of the program.  For the past 3 years several
of the children have been able to increase their scores on reading tests
enough that they "tested out" of the SE  program for reading.  One boy
is now reading at grade level.  I have even had more than one begin to
enjoy reading, as this is now an area in which he/she can experience
success.
      The most wonderful thing about this program is the joy it has
brought to the SE class.  At our school the RC program is not "stressed"
by reading teachers; it is almost a casual "aside."  We do not give
material incentives for scores.  For past several years I have put
child's name on star and the star moves (by 10 point increments) to
different areas on my hall chart.  About every 2-3 weeks I announce high
scores on PA with morning announcements.  Sometimes I do highest
boy/girl in school, highest by grade level etc.  Anyway, the SE class
who has "gotten into" RC has had the highest scores in the school ever
since we began the program.  I think it really boosts their self esteem
to be achieving ACADEMICALLY for the first time in their life....and on
a program that the "regular" students are using.  This year a SE student
(new to our school) earned 200+ points.  This is the first time anyone
at our school earned over 200 points in a school year.  I wish you could
have seen his face on  award day.
       I think the programs that do not allow retesting would not be as
effective, but that is an opinion.  I base my opinion on the concept
that rereading to increase understanding is how one gets better.
Reading another book will make us better readers, but not necessarily
increase comprehension skills.  In you do a task once and either pass or
fail how do you get better?  --We don't play piano piece ONCE, catch
ball once, practice multiplication once etc.
--
Mary Croix Ludwick   ludwick@swbell.net (home)
ludwickm@lisd.net(school)