One of the best things I do that fosters collaboration is the construction of
Project Pathfinders.  If the teachers will give me at least a day's notice, I
produce a one-page paper they can distribute to their students that outlines the
kinds of resources they should use for their research.
   It really takes only about an hour to make a Project Pathfinder, once you've
done two or three.  There is a lot of repetition.
   However, as you make them, you'll discover all kinds of interesting things about
your collection.  Sometimes I wonder if I don't get as much out of a Pathfinder
than the kids do.
   The kids love the Pathfinders.  They carry it from computer to catalog to book
shelf and back to computer.  There is no way they can know the best websites, best
subscription services we have, which keywords to use in catalog searches. However,
I am supposed to know this stuff, and  Pathfinders let me address all the kids--not
one at a time.
   Teachers take one look at a Pathfinder and are wowed.  They didn't know we had
this stuff.  They didn't know about these websites.  They are impressed with the
books we have on the subjects that they didn't know about.
    How does a Pathfinder foster collaboration?  You don't want to become just a
research secretary for your teachers.  You want to be a partner with them.  Well,
in order to get a Project Pathfinder made, a teacher has to come talk to you.  She
has to tell you what the assignment is about, what the product will be, and what
kind of resources she has in mind.  You listen; you tell her how wonderful this is;
you wax enthusiastic about your resources; and you might make one tiny suggestion.
You are collaborating!
   Collaboration is hard for some teachers.  They see it as a sign of weakness.
You make it a sign of strength.  I have to resist the impluse to make things all
better for the teacher with big  suggestions and plans.  You just take what you can
get and build on it a little at a time.  Hey, you're teaching teachers--just don't
let them know it.
   One other nice thing is to casually mention to the administration that so-and-so
is collaborating with you (or you are collaborating with so-and-so) on a great
lesson about such-and-such.  It surely would be nice if admin would comment
favorably on the collaboration, either privately or publically.  It can happen
every now and then.
   A Pathfinder is usually just a plain sheet of paper in outline form divided by
kinds of resources.  Nothing elaborate.  But I have seen some doozies.  Tri-fold
color paper with clip-art.  Things in the shape of the subject. I couldn't possibly
turn out four or five of those works of art a week.  So I go for practical and
plain.
    The first Pathfinder you make may take several hours, but you'll be so proud of
it and the teachers and kids will learn so much, you'll be so glad you did it.  The
next one will be much easier.  Pretty soon you can whip them out.  Just don't let
teachers know that, or they'll try to "collaborate" an hour before their class is
due to appear.
   Oh, yes, for the technologically advanced:  a Pathfinder can be constructed as a
web page.  Now that is really slick!
   Finally, you'll have to push the Pathfinder at first.  Teachers will at first
think they are imposing on you, making you make a Pathfinder.  I think
subconsciously they feel guilty that they aren't making the Pathfinder themselves.
When you ask if they would like one, the usual response is, "Well, if you have
time, but I'll understand if you don't."
  Oh, I know one brave librarian who doesn't allow any class into her library
unless the teacher and she have already met and planned the Project Pathfinder,
which she puts on the school's webpage.  No Pathfinder, and, in her opinion, there
is no point in the kids coming and rambling aimlessly around the library.  I
haven't gotten that bold.  But I've gotten to the point where I can say, "Oh, if
you'd only told me yesterday about this project, I could have made a Pathfinder for
your students, like I did for Mrs. So-and-so."

---
Donna Cook, Nacogdoches, Texas :
Teacher/Librarian Central High;
District Coordinator, Central ISD;
Library Consultant, Douglass ISD;
"Minister of Information" First Baptist.
donnacook@mailcity.com
409-853-9345

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 14:06:11
 Jackie Hill wrote:
>I have a handful of teachers who readily come to me to collaborate about
>future library projects.  However, the majority of the faculty do not
>collaborate with me on what their classes will be doing in the library- some
>teachers don't even tell me the topic of their
>investigations/research/projects before they bring their classes at the
>allotted time. Please give me suggestions on what I can do as a librarian to
>foster collaboration with the teachers. I feel like the teachers, students
>and I are losing many opportunities for the maximum learning to take place.
>
>Jackie Hill, Librarian
>South Lenoir High School, Deep Run, NC

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
>All postings to LM_NET are protected under copyright law.
>To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), send email to:
>listserv@listserv.syr.edu   In the message write EITHER:
>1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>4) SET LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
>For LM_NET Help see: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
>Archives: http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NET.html

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct