Hi everyone,

I seem to come out of hiding each summer to ask for help.  However, this
is my last summer in grad school (at least for now), so this is hopefully
my last request as a student.  I am graduating!!!!  (YEA!)   :-)

I am currently taking an administration class.  We are writing papers on
issues in management.  I have decided to focus on hiring practices and
the Americans with Disabilities Act.  It is a subject made more meaningful
to me since my mother recently became disabled by arthritis that is much
more advanced than is normal for her age.

One requirement for our paper is that we interview some practitioners in
the field.  So I am sending out these questions.  You all have such a wide
variety of experiences that I feel certain you'll have new insights for
me.

*Has your library ever employed a person with a disability?

*If yes, what type of position was the person hired for, and what modifications
were made, if any?

*If no, why not?

*If you have had experiences, good or bad, with employees who have disabilities,
please share your impressions of that experience.

I will not be using names of persons or libraries in my paper or the resulting
presentation, so please feel free to be honest.  I want to think hard about
all aspects of this issue and gain some valuable perspective.  So, if you
have a moment, and some experiences to share, please do so.  Thanks in
advance.  You all are always so helpful.

Sincerely,
Bettie McGinness
bettiem@wt.net
Graduate School of Library and Information Science University of Texas
at Austin