The following are the responses I received on my request for directions
as to how make foam dice to be used in games.  When I read about foam
dice on LM_NET several months ago, I had pictured cutting and gluing
together 6 pieces of colored foam sheets that I had seen at a craft
store. I think the sheets were ap. 2 mm thick. This apparently was not
what the others were describing, but I am not so sure this sheet thing
wouldn't work, too.  I am going to buy some and try gluing it together,
and will let the list know the result.  Thanks to those who replied.

I did this as a follow up to my first lesson on Rules and Procedures.
I cut six six inch squares from yellow foam sheets. Then I glued them
together into a cube.
Then I decorated each side with a face made of two eyes and a mouth.
three
of the sides are happy faces, and three are sad faces.

We all sit in a circle. The first child rolls the cube. If it comes up
with
a happy face on top, he must tell the group a behavior we like to see in
the
library (something that would make Mrs. DeFrank happy). If it comes up
with
a sad face on top, he must tell a behavior that we would not like to see

(something that would make Mrs. DeFrank un-happy) . I keep the rules
posted
right next to where we sit, and I point to them as needed.

The kids seem to love it!

I've never seen exact directions.  I brought foam (in the uphosltery
department) from my local fabric store.  It helps if you can get them to

cut the foam into cubes for you (depends on how helpful the clerk is and

how busy it is); otherwise I sacraficed the sharpness of my electric
knife to cut neater, straighter lines.  (Actually, I don't really notice

the blades are duller -- just told they would be).

Use a permanent marker on the sides of the foam.  I used a "regular"
size tip and the bleeding made it a little difficult to read my 1 inch
high (well almost) numbers.  Next time I'd use the super-fine Sharpie.

In time the foam ages and turns yellow -- eventually becoming crumbly --

but that takes years.

--
Lois Tabis, Librarian
Sharpsville HS, Sharpsville, PA