I've have hundreds of requests for a sample of a Project Pathfinder.  I will slowly
send them individually.  However, this posting may be more efficient.  Alice Yucht
has several posted on her webpage at
http://members.home.net/hmslibrary/projects.html

Below is a Project Pathfinder I prepared last year for an 11th-grade A&P class.  As
you can see, it is in simple outline form (if it goes to your computer without
getting tangled up), and it simply lays out the "path" students can trod to find
resources.   It can be made simpler for younger students, but I would always keep
it within one page.

(If you are one of the people who have asked for a sample, and this works for you,
please reply to that effect, and it will save me individually e-mailing your
identical sample.)

Project Pathfinder
Mrs. Smith's classes:  Anatomy and Physiology

I.      Encyclopedia
A.      Print:  5 sets at the end of the reference cabinets
B.      CD_ROM:  3 brands, available for checkout at circulation desk
C.      Internet:  Encyclopedia Britannica at http://search.eb.com

II.     On-line catalog (index to the books on the shelves)
A.      Subject searches:  anatomy, physiology, medicine, human body, medical.
B.      Keyword searches:  the words above plus illness* (the wildcard-* -pulls in
all words beginning with illness) and any other words that are key to your report.
C.      Dewey section:  Browse the 610-615 shelves.

III.    Reference books
A.      Encyclopedia of Family Health
B.      Other books in the R 610- R 615 section

IV.     Internet sites:
A.      Kids Health http://www.kidshealth.org/index2.html
B.      Inner Learning Online http://innerbody.com
You'll want to go to the human body link.
C.      Neuroscience for Kids covers the brain, nervous system, and more
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~chudler/neurok.html

V.      Magazines:
A.      Electronic (available at home and any remote site):  EBSCO  use keywords
from you project. Use both keyword and natural language searching.
1.       URL:  (http://search.epnet.com
2.       ID=xxxxx, password=xxxxxx)
B.      Print:  the National Geographic Index will take you to volumes of the
National Geographic that have colorful articles on your subject. You can find the
index by looking by Title in the On-line Catalog.

VI.     Internet subscription sites:
A.      Gale Science (available at home and any remote site):
1.      URL:  http://galenet.gale.com
2.      ID=XXXXX, password=XXXXX
B.  AccuNet/AP Photo Archive (available at remote sites also) has Associated Press
photos.  Try finding pictures with keyword searches.

---
Donna Cook, Nacogdoches, Texas :
Teacher Librarian Central High;
District Coordinator, Central ISD;
Library Consultant, Douglass ISD;
"Minister of Information" First Baptist Church.
donnacook@mailcity.com
936-853-9345 (work)
936-569-2426 (home)

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct