--- "Madeline L. Buchanan" <mlbuchan@HIWAAY.NET>
wrote:
> One of my colleagues just purchased a new computer
> and is interested in
> scanner recommendations.  She is doing genealogy
> work and needs a scanner
> that will produce good copies of Xerox copies as
> well as old photographs.  I
> would appreciate any recommendations.

The best way to compare scanners is to compare
resolution.  This is measured in pixels, or the number
of dots per square inch (DPI) the scanner can create.
The higher the maximum resolution the scanner can
produce, the better the image quality will be.

The best scanners I have used were Hewlett Packard
models, but there are other good brands.  If you go to
an online shopping bot service like www.mysimon.com,
you can easily comparison shop based on brand,
features or price range.

It's a good idea to look at what software, if any, is
bundled with the scanner.  Adobe and Microsoft make
good photo editing software that is sometimes included
with scanners.  To convert scanned pages of text to a
word processed file, you will need OCR (optical
character recognition) software.  Some scanners
include OCR software too.

Scanned images take up a lot of disk space, and you
need a reasonably powerful computer and generous
amounts of RAM to work with them.  Also, if you print
the images, you will need a good-quality printer.  You
can compare the scanner's resolution (in DPI) and the
printer's resolution (in DPI) to estimate how closely
the printer can reproduce the quality of the image.

Anne Zahra, LMS
Merritt Brown Middle School
Panama City FL