Dear fellow LMS's,

    I trust many of you are on vacation but I thought I'd try seeking your
advice! I have just accepted and begun my first LMS position at Hyde School
in Bath, Maine.  It's a boarding school for grades 9-12.  I am participating
in Hyde's 5-week Summer School for the new students.  I am team-teaching
English classes with another new faculty member.

     Ideally we need to structure our English lessons based on the schools
"5 main words" and the school's 5 main "principles".  We are to concentrate
on one "word" and one principle per week.  Following are the "words" and
"principles":   (for those of you who are not familiar with Hyde Schools,
they are based almost entirely on character education):

     Week 1 :    Curiosity and Truth

     Week 2 :    Courage and Humility

     Week 3 :    Concern and Brother's Keeper--making sure that we are
helping all students, faculty, administration to do their best)

     Week 4 :    Leadership and Conscience

     Week 5 :    Integrity and Destiny

     What we would like to do is assign one or two readings per week based
on the "word" and "principle" of the week. We will see each class
approximately 12 times during the five-week term. And class meetings begin
this coming Wednesday.  What I am asking of you all is to perhaps suggest
some short stories, poetry, or novellas that involve any of the above
"words" or "principles".    I would be more than happy to post a hit if
anyone is interested.  I also know that there has been a discussion on this
list about character education and will indeed research the archives for
suggestions there as well.  Thank you all in advance for your kind
assistance.

Nathalie Demers, MLIS
Librarian
Hyde School