NOTE: You may not want to read this comment if you have not
read the book yet....

Rowling, J.K._Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire [#4]_, 2000
[0-439-13959-7] Scholastic
This book is a tidewater in the series and jumps it up to the next
level.  It opens with everyone going to an international Quidditch
match.  (This section was longer than it needed to be.)  Afterwhich
Harry and the gang return to school and find out that instead of the
school's Quidditch contest they are to host the reinstated
International Triwizard Tournament.  Harry is sucked into the
contest at the end of which he is drawn into a fearsome battle.
This book is definitely written for middle school kids.  It is a little
more dark and evil (especially the ending) and the wit throughout is
geared for that age.  The names of wizardry books cited, and spells
given are quite humorous.  The banter of the kids is even
characteristic of middle school kids -- there is a line about the
planets and joking about Uranus.  I found myself laughing out loud
several times.  I am not going to repeat the comments that I am
sure most of you have read except to say that I found this 745
page book the best yet of the series.  Allow time to read it before
school starts -- I am impressed with people (especially kids) who
said they read it in one or two days.  It took me five, but then I am
not a fast reader.  Enjoy!

***************
Frederick Muller
Halsted Middle School Library