Hi folks :)

 ** http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/whatsnu_4.html **

As expected, everyone had his own opinion, in fact the response was more
pro-article.  Everyone has the right to express what he/she feels about
a situation or any other happening.  The important thing is that he/she
does it without feeling threatened or that he threatens everyone.
Though I understand the principle behind Trelease's reasoning, I don't
like the idea.

In my school [700 students - from 10 to 15 years] it will be - I tend to
describe it - a mistake if I would allow such things.  In my opinion,
there is not only one principle to be safeguarded but two: reading and
responsibility.

Sometimes, I have to remind students who come to the library - who have
increased sky-high since my appointment in this school - to wash their
hands before touching books.  It may look as 'imposing' on them.  But my
responsibility doesn't allow me to let them touch books when I've seen
them eating chocolate, sweets, apples, bread with oil or butter....books
are papers at the end of the day which can easily be damaged.

Though I have a fair amount of budget, I can't spend my budget on
replacing books rather than buying new ones.  Also, since my school
prepares children both for our Sixth form and then to University, at
both premises, food and drink isn't allowed.  Thus, if I manage to get
their habit of doing good things now, later on it will be simpler for
them to act natural.

Now if they happen to be in a library which can afford other things,
well, good luck for them!  I don't know at your end what kids really
need, but here in Malta, one of the lessons which our students need to
learn is responsibility towards things [books] which are theirs.  Trying
to teach them that 'money' - and they have plenty of it - is not the
only thing in the world.

These are my views. I am glad that all of us shared his own opinion.
This is responsibility and maturity.  Thanks to all.

TIA
CLaudio Laferla - Librarian
St. Martin's College
Middle/High School