Hi folks,

Not many responses to my question about biometrics in the library. Seems an
idea for which the time has not yet come. While it sounds like science
fiction, wouldn't it be nice to work in a school where forgotten student IDs
or library cards (or forgotten teacher keys) are a thing of the past? How
about instead of wasting valuable class time taking attendance, students
could just "thumb" into class? I've been known to forget almost everything
at one time or another - keys, cards, wallet, dress shoes, etc. - but I've
never forgotten my fingers! You can steal a key or card or password, but
unless you are James Bond, it's tough to steal a fingerprint, voice print or
retinal pattern.

Anyway, here are the responses:

*******************
I work for the Sagebrush Corporation. We produce library automation products
(Athena and Spectrum). Last year we looked at the possibility of offering a
fingerprint (biometric) scanner for self-checkout purposes. We found in our
research that the library market just wasn't ready for such a technology.

I am very interested in the type of response you get from your posting. If
you could please forward your hit to me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Scott

Scott Pechacek
Marketing Research Manager
Sagebrush Corporation

spechacek@sagebrushcorp.com
608-779-4577 ext. 5038
608-779-4393 (fax)
http://www.sagebrushcorp.com

**********************
Doug,

Why in the world would a school library be run with such a heavy-duty
security system as a finger-print based recognition system.  It's a library
not a nuclear missile facility.

Sincerely,

Christine

*******************

        Eagan High School (near Minneapolis) is registering students now for
self-checkout using a biometric system. So far the registration is bumpy,
but the checkout seems to be working smoothly. This is definitely a beta
version, so you know how that goes.
        We are using a product by Educational Technologies that interfaces
with our Winnebago/Sagebrush automation system.

Laura Nagel

********************

Doug,

This system is being tested in Eagan.

It was developed  by Bob Engen, Caledonia, Minnesota; Tel. 507-724-5773;
Bob is a programmer and former CEO of Winnebago.

Please feel free to contact Bob; and as you see he will receive a copy of
this message.

Thank you.

Ted Nemzek

******************************

How about retinal scanning...just kidding...no, we're not using anything
that advanced, but I can see the day when it will be here. Reggie in
Mahtomedi

********************************

Have a great summer!

Doug

************
Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713
Voice: 507-387-7698, Fax: 507-387-2496
E-mail: johnsd9@mail.mankato.msus.edu
or:     djohns1@mail.isd77.k12.mn.us
www.isd77.k12.mn.us/staffdir/staff2/Johnson_Doug.html

The way to do research is to attack the
facts at the point of greatest astonishment. Celia Green