Subject: Re: What are AR tests?
To: TOb4521738@AOL.COM
From: "Shonda L Brisco" <bshonda@okstate.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 10:59:14 -0500

Hi, Jennifer,

     AR (Accelerated Reader) tests are computer generated tests that
schools purchase to encourage children to read books and then take tests to
determine their comprehension levels, reading levels, or even if they
actually read the book in some cases.  Among librarians you will find a
variety of responses regarding this type of "testing" because it's pretty
easy for kids to read books and not have a teacher involved in the process
other than just reviewing the test scores.  Most library professors that I
know detest this type of testing because it doesn't give the child the
opportunity to do something other than choose a test answer from a list of
multiple choice answers.

     Now back to the question.  To encourage a high-risk reader or low
motivated reader to use the AR tests, you would encourage them by telling
them that there are "prizes" attached to the program--one of the reasons
why professors in library schools hate this program!  Children gain points
based upon how many questions they got right on their tests.  When they get
so many points, the librarian (teacher, PTA, or school district) gives a
prize to the child, thus the motivation to read.  Children are then
"bribed"  to read rather than be encouraged to make reading a reward within
itself...see the vicious cycle begin??

     Yes, I have used it.  Yes, it works--especially for those low
motivated readers.  You buy prizes and you work making your library an AR
library rather than buying books because of their inspiration, their value
to the curriculum, or their ratings on ALA's best list of books, etc.  You
match tests with books and spend hundreds of dollars purchasing tests
rather than books.  Teachers have a free time...they don't have to read
book reports, listen to book review, grade projects on books, or try to
figure out if the kid made up the book title, author, and the complete
story.  They just assign AR books to read and they're done....

     Sorry if I sound really pessimistic but I do see both sides and I am
beginning to believe that my professors were right.  Children should be
encouraged to read because it will be valuable to them throughout
life...not because they'll receive a 'happy face sticker' if they read!

     Hope this helps...please investigate for yourself!

Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Librarian

Mary L. Williams Curriculum Materials Library
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma
bshonda@okstate.edu
405-744-9769