Let me say that I initially sent my response personally to "what is the AR
program" to the individual who requested this information rather than to
the LM_NET listserv primarily because I had an opinion that I wanted to
state to the individual rather than to the list.  Because the person posted
my response (which I do not blame because I did not ask that they not post
it but rather felt that she would take all responses and use them as she
wished), I have now received comments from people who believe that I have
never used the program or do not understand the program.

I will re-state my situation.  I have used the program.  I initiated the
program primarily to get my non-readers to participate in reading.  I
watched as non-readers in the third grade became readers!  I watched as
high school students became interested in reading again.  However, I also
saw the dilemma of buying new books (such as Harry Potter when it first
became popular last summer) and seeing these books sit on shelves because
there were no tests for them.  I saw good materials (fiction and
nonfiction) being turned down by students and teachers because we could no
longer purchase any tests because we had no funding.  I also realize that
we could write our own tests for the AR program (and I did write several)
but felt that it was too time consuming and not fulfilling my goals as a
librarian.  I am not discounting the fact that some schools have wonderful
successes with the program. However, I also feel that some schools,
teachers, and librarians get caught up in the AR frenzy and do not see what
they are doing to their libraries and their curriculums.

If you will look at a balanced program you will find that AR reader can be
utilized for those who are poor readers at the high school level and help
motivate readers at the elementary or middle school level.  However, we
must remember that at some time we must remove the "training wheels" and
allow these students to read for themselves.  I understand that not
everyone wants to read and teachers just cannot make some students read no
matter what incentives (or grade requirements) are on the line.  A good
program will involve students at all levels to read anything and everything
not just a prescribed list of materials.

I have worked in school libraries for 16 years.  In fact, I just moved into
higher education this past spring.  I've been in the trenches, I understand
what is happening, and I comprehend the AR program completely.  (In fact, I
do support the use of it in moderation.)  However, when it becomes the
guiding force in selection and collection development for a library, I am
opposed to it.  When children and teachers refuse new materials because
tests are not available, I am opposed to it.  When teachers abuse the
program because it's easier than reading themselves, then I am opposed to
it.  I have lived with all three of these scenarios and I don't like what I
saw.  Could it be changed?  Yes.  But it became a monster in the school
that I was in at the time.  I hope others can control it in their schools.
However, if they cannot then they will find that funds will be diverted to
AR programming and not collection development. They will also find good
books sitting on their shelves and not being utilized because tests are
available.  They will also find teachers failing to inspire students to
read because it's easier to sit them in front of the computer than to
become involved in literature.  (Yes, I have taught the 130 load of
students and I realize you can't read everything out there...but you can
direct and you can inspire and you can find ways to allow students to
"create something other than a book report" for their grade...which I did
when I was in the classroom--another life outside of working 16 years as a
librarian.)

Just my two cents in return.

Thanks!
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Librarian

Mary L. Williams Curriculum Materials Library
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma
bshonda@okstate.edu
405-744-9769