Hi folks:

A local LA radio personality of conservative political persuasion
(Dennis Prager) was discussing this subject today on the radio. He
decried the dress codes of school systems and how unprofessional
teachers look and, therefore, how he feels that the profession has lost
a good part of the dignity that it deserves.  He particularly mentioned
over and over the example of a woman in Fairfax, Virginia school system
who was pulling out her kid after finding out that the school held an
all school "Pajama Day" where even the principal came to school dressed
in bathrobe and slippers.

He was disgusted by "Pajama Days" and crazy hat days, and especially
"cross-dressing day" (I have never heard of that one) and used them as
examples of how low schools can go in what they expect of students,
etc.  He blames the foul language use at school, the lack of respect for
teachers and many other ills on the school system's attempts to give the
kids more "fun" rahter than demand respect, which he thinks is a foolish
value.

I admit that my own school has all sorts of stuff, like "Hawaiian Beach
day" and crazy hair day, etc, and I never thought of it as any more than
harmless fun---but I admit that it on those days the kids tend to act
less like serious students and more like partygoers.  Anyway--it made me
think a bit about the suitability of the type of clothing we allow in
school--especially on our high school campuses.

Lisa Handelman
Librarian
Adat Ari El Day School
N. Hollywood, CA