I've been reading the development of this thread with interest. So thought
I'd add my 2c.
There are dress standards and dress standards;-) We have dress standards in
Queensland schools but practical sensible ones.
When I first started teaching in Queensland 20 years ago, a lot of teachers
were still wearing ties and pantyhose (both terrible things in our tropical
climate) because that was the expected code of dress in some schools. Jeans
were also frowned upon.
Today it seems almost anything goes as long as it is neat, clean and
respectable eg tailored shorts for women are quite OK at my school - bike
pants or running shorts are not!  What an improvement! If you've ever had
to teach an infants class, the option of tailored shorts or trousers or
jeans is infinitely  preferable to a dress. Many schools I know of are
actually opting for a corporate uniform of sorts (they can claim it on tax)
of a polo shirt, tailored shorts, trousers and skirts. Most schools both
state and private, primary and secondary have uniforms which they more or
less insist students wear, but for the most part, the days of tunic,
blazers ties and gloves are gone, with most uniforms being either much more
practical and comfortsble. In Townsville most schools have adopted a polo
shirt or cotton short sleeved shirt and either shorts, cullottes or pleated
skirt. Some schools also have a dress option for girls. The uniforms are
very sensible, sunsmart, stylish and comfortable.
Personally I think they are a good thing. They create a feeling of school
spirit and belonging. Uniforms are not cheap but they last well, can be
passed on and do not have the price tag of brand name clothes (no-one is
going to mug you for your school shirt!) Yes, to a cetain extent they
stifle individuality, but many children still express that by haircuts,
hair accessories or just the "attitude" that they adopt wearing the uniform.
As for how dress standards affecting discipline - I don't think they do -
that comes from the individual school ethos, standards and strategies.
Sharon Cataldo
Teacher-Librarian
Kelso State School
Yvette Street