Dear LMNetters:

Here is the HIT about tickler files. It was nice to receive so many
answers to this simple but basic query. I have listed the
answers in an order I hope will help. Enlightening that
what is an answer to a problem to some of us is not the same answer
to  others.

Thanks to you all.

WHAT ARE TICKLER FILES
Tickler files are simply file folders where you put things you want to
remember to do. They "tickle" your memory. My understanding of the
term is that when things happen repeatedly each year you make a list
or calendar of these activities with the lead time to be able to meet
the necessary deadlines.

HOW TO USE TICKLER FOLDER FILES
Sometimes people have a file folder for each day of the week. You put
the current one in front to work on and then at the end of the day,
move it to the back.

I use a small three ring binder to place a list of tasks to be
completed for each month. This is especially helpful at school closure
time (now), so I can remember how to do jobs that are typically done
only once per year. For example, preparing requisitions, inventory,
fee and fines lists required by the bookkeeper, etc.. I also include a
reminder page for those things that must be done weekly and monthly.

I learned about Tickler files in an organization seminar last summer.
You use dated hanging files to organize your tasks and other date
sensitive materials.  You need 12 files (one for each month) and 31
more files for each day of the month.  Something you need to do or
send or attend to next October gets put into the file marked "october"
Then at the beginning of the month you distribute all of the items
from the month folder to the proper  number dated files.

TIPS TO REMEMBER ABOUT TICKLER FILES
By tickler files the writer meant reminder files. You use a folder for
each day of the week and one for each month. You can use them in a
variety of ways: 1. Keep monthly tickler files to remind you of tasks
that must be done at the same time each year. (example: each May I do
inventory---place the directions for this task in the May folder) 2.
Keep a daily tickler file where you place tasks to be completed in the
course of a week. (example: Monday--read book reviews,
Tuesday--catalog books, Wednesday--preview videos, Thursday--examine
new materials, Friday--plan lessons for following week) 3. Keep a
separate folder for requests for materials to support the curriculum,
books students and teachers would like you to purchase for leisure
reading, new reference materials--they are really limited only by your
imagination

You put the current one in front to work on and then at the end of
the day, move it to the back.YOU MUST DO IT FOR 60 DAYS WITHOUT
MISSING A DAY in order to make it a habit.  If you fail, the system
fails. ALSO, while you are training yourself, put incentives in
folders.  $10 or something that will be fun to discover on the day
you check your file.

One of the rules I remember is that if you "put it off" the item gets
a little check in the corner.  If an item gets three checks (you've
already put it off three times" it's do-or-die time.  You either have
to deal with it right now or put it in the trash.

IF YOU NOT NOT WANT TO USE FOLDER FILES(AND RECCUR TO OTHER MEMORY
TICKLERS SUCH AS SOFTWARE SYSTEMS OR DO NOT USE THEM AT ALL)

Just to add a note regarding Tickler files...they are also software
systems that are on your computer systems.  You can schedule your
events, delegate your jobs, and basically do what you would with a
DayRunner on the computer. Mine has a system that will allow me to
schedule an alarm (a chime or bell) to remind me that I have something
scheduled or that I have something planned today.  It will also let me
set up files and folders on my system so I can refer to them later.
You can learn more about "Tickler Files" in most computer magazines
(PC World, etc.) or online using basic search engines and search
techniques.  I use the electronic form of Tickler files primarily
because I've already got TOO MUCH paper on my desk and too many files
to deal with already!  What a way to get organized!

Another way besides the manilla folder approach which is good, is to
use Outlook with an "alarm" set.  I have it in my startup folder so
Outlook loads when I turn on my computer and the "tickles" for that
day come up on the screen.  I can then dismiss them or make a note of
them to be sure I do them.  They can also be added to the tasks.

I tried to use these but have decided it does not work for visual
people, and I am visual.  For me, if the papers are in a file,  I am
finished with it...I have large stacks upon my desk and I know what is
in that particular stack.  (However it looks just awful!)  For me, the
best plan is a monthly calendar with about a 2" square.  I write in
the square what is due on that date.  Then, when I look at the month,
I can see what is due in a day or two and begin working on it so that
the report is completed on due date.

Gustavo von Bischoffshausen (gustavo@tarea.org.pe)
Servicios de Informacion
Tarea, Asociacion de Publicaciones Educativas
Lima, PERU
PC/WINDOWS95, Netscape Communicator, Pegasus Mail para Windows

EL ROL DE LOS LECTORES ES HACER VISIBLE
AQUELLO QUE LA ESCRITURA SUGIERE MEDIANTE INDICIOS Y SOMBRAS
ibn al-Haytham (m. 1038 DC)