Friends,

A short time ago, I shared a poem that Jerry Spinelli  had read at a library
meeting I attended.  Spinelli did not claim to have written the poem, he may
even have given the correct attribution, and I missed it, but it has been
brought to my attention that the actual poem was written by Richard Peck,
another of my favorite authors.  I quote the information below which
corrects my earlier post.  I'm sorry if I offended anyone, especially
Richard Peck, whom I admire greatly.  Thanks to Robert Fletcher for the
correction.

Beth N. Backus
Librarian
Hamilton Southeastern Junior High
Fishers, Indiana
317-594-4120
bbackus@hse.k12.in.us <mailto:bbackus@hse.k12.in.us>

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are good at heart."
--Anne Frank

Issaquah, WA, Tuesday, 6 June 2000
from Robert A. Fletcher,  PookaFlech@aol.com <mailto:PookaFlech@aol.com>

The Internet/World Wide Web is a wonderful thing, but sometimes false or
incorrect information or words (or both) gets/get propagated so fast that it
may well nigh be impossible to correct.  Case in point, the "why we read"
poem shared around.
It was not Jerry Spinelli who said the words of the poem; it was not written
by a student.  It was written by Richard Peck, another famous author.  The
correct title is "Why I Read-in the voice of a young reader."  Richard Peck
received the 1990 Young Adult Services Division/School Library Journal
Author Achievement Award, presented on June 23, 1990, in Chicago at the
Annual conference of the American Library Association.  The words in the
poem are from Richard Peck's acceptance speech, titled "Love is Not Enough."
The speech is in the Fall 1990 issue of the Journal of Youth Services in
Libraries,   p. 35-39.  The speech/article is copyrighted 1990 by Richard
Peck.
If there is any way to share this correction on LM_NET, I would appreciate
it, and I am sure Mr. Peck would appreciate it.
I am glad to see the poem is being shared, but we should strive to make sure
of our attribution.  All the stanzas are there; the correct last stanza is
this:
   I read:         because one of these days I'm going to get out of this
town,
                 and I'm going to go everywhere, and meet everybody, and I
want to be ready.
Thank you for your efforts and understanding.
--Rob Fletcher, Librarian (retired-Issaquah School District)