This discussion has led me to some action at our school. I talked yesterday
with the counselor and together we are going to propose that a grade be
given for Responsibility and Citizenship - this would reflect no missing
assignments, library overdues, etc. We are finding that while we are not
dealing with extreme behavior problems in our school - we have a constant
battle with missing assignments, students not completing reports, homework,
etc. We are going to work on this together and set up a weekly plan for
monitoring these kids who are not learning self management - survival skills
and are failing as a result. They come from good or great homes but everyone
is too busy to monitor and help them with strategies to stay on top of their
school work . I guess we are taking on another parenting role but these kids
just need to have someone teach them how to get organized.
I'm also looking at other means to helping the kids connect their school
work and the library books they check out with their parents. We are going
to sew some book bags for kinders that will also tuck into their back packs
which is the fashion here. We will have "Library Books" on the outside of
the bag. I am also going to be sure and get overdue notices out weekly which
has been a failing of mine.
We would appreciate any other proactive ideas along this line.
Kathy Mladenich
Library Technician/KidSpeak Advisor
http://www.peninsula.wednet.edu/Artondale/KidSpeak/index.htm
Artondale Elem. School