I would like to thank everyone who answered my survey.
I received the following answers.

I try to be as current as possible on copyrights for
print and non-print materials. The school board in our
district puts out and updates a policy manual(actually
manuals now), that covers many of these type of
situations. They have had a section on copyright for
quite a few years now, and have updated the one for
software. We are not allowed to use our own software
with students. If it's a one station piece of
software, it is only to be used on one station. etc.
Plus it covers copying software. Now as for your
questions: 1) We do not check out software to
students, only staff. Most of the teachers now have
the software loaded on their Macs or they are each
given a cd-rom for their classroom. 2) We have a
computer teacher who is now our tech person make sure
this is clear when we are given any type of software.
Especiallly when they want to put it on more than one
computer. We have to explain unless we pay for a site
license no way. 3) Last year at an inservice meeting
we had a session on copyrights-from showing videos,
using software, and enlarging Disney characters and
using them in our classrooms. Hopes this helps.

1. Do you checkout software in your library? Only to
staff >2. If so, how do you keep your copyrights
legal? We install and remove as needed, depending on
our licensing agreement for each particular piece. >3.
Who is responsible for tracking copyright issues >in
your school regarding software? Me. >4. How do you
keep up to date with copyright issues? Porfessional
journals, online sources, colleagues, classes, LM_Net

At my k-8 school of approx. 950 students, > 1. Do you
checkout software in your library? no > 2. If so, how
do you keep your copyrights legal? > 3. Who is
responsible for tracking copyright issues > in your
school regarding software? our computer curriculum
coordinator > and our tech person > 4. How do you keep
up to date with copyright issues? readings in >
professional journals and on Internet

Technology is not checked out due to the high cost of
replacing it if
it is
not returned.
Good luck with your survey!

Tus far I do not check-out software from the media
center. Teachers just claim and house the software in
their room. However, it has been an issue than I am
concerned about and would like for you to send me any
replies that you receive concerning how other
librarians handle this. Thanks!

Note: These response apply to the position I held last
year, in the fall I will start a new position in a
different district. > 1. Do you checkout software in
your library? Yes but only to staff to use on school
computers. > 2. If so, how do you keep your copyrights
legal? They must install and uninstall the software
when they are finished using it. > 3. Who is
responsible for tracking copyright issues > in your
school regarding software? I was. > 4. How do you keep
up to date with copyright issues? I try to read about
it, ask other professionals, and check copyright web
sites.

1.  only to teachers
2.  site license, or doesn't require installation
3.  ITC (instructional technology coordinator) and
myself
4.  professional materials

1. Yes, CD-ROMS
2.  By reading the licensing agreement.  Much software
loads only the shell and can't be used without the
disc in the drive, so when the disc is returned, there
is no program resident on their computer (only the
shell).  If it is possible to load the entire CD_ROM,
then  I don't circulate it.
3.  If you mean do we police the people who use the
software, we don't have anyone doing that.  But as far
as keeping current withe the laws, that is the job of
the librarian, the computer teahers, and the
principal--and we keep the faculty informed.
4.  By attending professional conferences, reading
professional journals, discussing issues on LM_NET,
and talking to other librarians.

1. NO

1.  All of the software in our building is cataloged,
barcoded and circulated from the library.  The only
exceptions are those that we have a site licence for.
I have a cataloged these so that they show up on our
database but our technology/teacher takes care of
installing them on the classroom and lab computers.
These include Claris, Making the grade, Print Shop.
The type of site license varies and Marie (our
wonderful tech person) keeps the site license
paperwork on file.  We use Follett/Windows and I
indicate it on the record if we have a site license.
We have a network license for Middle Search and for
World Book and Marie maintains these on the building
server.
2.  Marie and I give a copyright workshop every year
near the beginning of school and go over Federal law
and district policy, including those that apply to
software.  Each teacher signs a form saying they have
attended the workshop and understand district policy
on copyright.  We let the teachers know that if they
check a program out of the library that it is to be
installed on one computer only and that the teacher
must have the documentation on hand and that she must
uninstall the program when returning it to the
library.  In spite of this I know some fail to do
this.  At the end of the school year Marie cleans all
the computers in the building and also removes any
software left on them that should not be there.
Teachers who bring software from home must have the
complete package and documentation on hand and are
encouraged to donate these programes to the school
(this may become mandatory).
3.  Marie and I both try to keep track of copyright in
the building.  However we let them know that we are
not the copyright police and our job is only to inform
them of the law.  The principal is the building
compliance officer in our district for copyright,
Title 9, Sexual Harrassament, etc.It certainly helps
if the principal takes  this seriously, which our's is
somewhat wishy washy on.  He thinks that no one ever
gets caught and cant stand the Federal Govn. anyway.
We just kind of ignore him and continue to inform our
teachers of the law.
4.  There is a lot on the Internet on copyright and in
various library publications such as School Library
Journal.  Carol Mann Simpson's book is excellent.  I
am at home and don't have the title.  You may have
seen her messages on LM net.  Our state organization
presents workshops on this frequently and I have gone
to a number of these.  I don't have it at home but our
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has a
website which includes a section for librarians.  Try
the search term Missouri Department of Elementary and
Secondary Education and you should find it.  You can
print out a complete manual that we use in Missouri
for anything we need to know about libraries,
including copyright.  DESE is working on a CD-ROM on
copyright right now that each school library will
receive.

In my library, I have limited software that gets
checked out by
students and
teachers (mostly templates for building Web pages that
go with a book,
etc.).  I put a copyright notice on each CD-ROM case
which I believe is
all
I need to do to be copyright compliant.  We do not
lend any programs
like
Office, etc. that would have to be copied onto a hard
drive.

I have just volunteered to catalog and maintain
circulation of our
district's software.  (Not each individual school's
CD-ROMs, but
district-licensed and administrative programs) We have
a lot of
"technical
assistants," and with the former way of loaning out
material from a
central
storage cabinet, there was very little control over
who had what
software.
Now software will be housed in a secured area of the
library with only
the
district's head technician and library staff having
keys.

Right now, our district assistant superintendent is
the holder of
licensing
agreements.  Although I have begun cataloging, I have
not met with him
discuss licensing and how that will affect borrowing.
I do know that
there
will be different tiers of borrowing ability.  For
example, any techie
could
check out Windows disks, but only one or two people in
the district
could
check out the administrative programs.  The same
should hold for
programs
like Photoshop that have licensing limited to ten
users.  Access to
these
district-wide software programs will not generally be
available to
teachers
or students.  All installation would be done through
technical
services.
Guidelines have still to be established, but I believe
this system will
assure as much copyright compliance as possible with
the actual program
disks.  I also know there is security on the
district's servers to
prevent
individuals from downloading programs.

I probably know the most about copyright in my
district.  I read, read,
read.  I attend workshops on the issue when I can, and
I was able to
take a
course with Arlene Bielefield, who authored several
books on copyright.
Technology, especially the Internet issue, is changing
constantly, and
so
are interpretations of the corresponding copyright.  I
don't feel
confident
in my knowledge, but I do know that I am trying.