Hi!
     I'm sorry for the delay but I've been crazed with tying "the end of
the year" loose ends and the automation process in the midst of it all!
Here is the hit with most of the responses. Thank you all very much for
your support and information.  It was good to see that " we are together"
across the country on many issues!  Have a great restful summer .
Celeste

Orig. message:
 Greetings,
>         I would like to gather some information concerning the research
> process for the very young in grades K through 2.  Please direct me to
> any professional readings, experiences, or suggestions you may have.
We
> plan to structure some district guidelines.  I'll post a hit.  Thank
you.
> Celeste Riter, LMS
> Woolsey Elem. School
> Celeste116@juno.com

I use the Big Six even for the early grades K-2.  Instead of 6 steps,
there
are three - beginning, middle, and end.  There should be information on
this
in the LM_NET archives as it has been a popular topic in the past.
Please
post a hit or send me responses as I am doing summer work on "Information
Problem-Solving" strategies for our district.  TIA

Are you familiar with Big6 model for doing research?  THis can be
condensed
to Super 3 for lower grades.

I have been interested in the concept of teaching young children the
research
process for several years. This is the 4th year that one of our second
grade
teachers  and I have implemented a project at our elementary school which
we
call "Young Researchers." We use the Big6 inquiry model to structure our
project. We allow the children free choice of topic within a chosen
integrated theme which has been "Change" so far each year. Then we guide
the
kids through each step of the process from Task Definition through
Evaluation. Their final product is a HyperStudio program to show what
they
learned about their topic. We are trying to build up a collection of
appropriate strategies for helping young children read informational
sources
more effectively. I would recommend you go to the Big6 website
www.big6.com
and read Stephanie Harvey's book Nonfiction Matters. You'll find rich
information on this topic in both these sources.

My school is K-2 and the research that we do with first and second grades
is
generally of the "Let's find the answer to this question" variety. With
first grade, I usually do almost all the reading. If I'm working with a
small group, we all find the answer, then I read it aloud and they all
write
it down. We have done dictionaries, atlases, and specialized
encyclopedias
(mostly animals) this way. In second, they are much better readers, but
they
still have trouble scanning for information. I feel I am teaching them
the
process more than doing researh,  whether we are looking at a book or the
internet or whatever. But they love it, and they feel a huge sense of
accomplishment. I will be glad to see what other people have done. It may
be
that our kids are pretty low in their skill level, and that others could
do
a lot more.

Try The Big6 at http://www.big6.com/

I use the Big Six even for the early grades K-2.  Instead of 6 steps,
there
are three - beginning, middle, and end.  There should be information on
this
in the LM_NET archives as it has been a popular topic in the past.
Please
post a hit or send me responses as I am doing summer work on "Information
Problem-Solving" strategies for our district.  TIA

I just complete my first year as a SLMS in a PK-2 School.  I tried to
model
some activities around the school where I completed by student teaching.
Check out their website on The Research Process
http://wdgdst68.dupage.k12.il.us/sipley/research/index.htm

You could contact Big6.  They use something called the "Super 3" for
primary
students in the research process.
I just did a quick "unit" on research with first graders - it was great
and
very simple.  I have the new World Book Discovery (?) which is written on
about a 2nd grade level.  I selected an animal from each volume and put a
post-it note on the front with the name of the animal.  We talked about
guide-words - and lo and behold they had just covered that in class!  The
classroom teacher divided them into groups of 2 - generally a strong
reader
with a weaker reader.  They had to read the article and take notes.  I
told
them they had to have 5 facts and not to write sentences.  The next week
they got their notes back and had to write the notes into sentences.
They
also used Yahooligans to look up a picture of their animal and we printed
it
out for them.  We pasted the final hand-written paper and picture on a
large
piece of yellow construction paper.  The teacher and the kids loved it.
We
will definitely do this again next year.  I will be adding typing their
sentences on a word processor -- didn't have time for that this year.

I would think you might find the books by M. Ellen Jay quite
useful.
Interlibrary Loan may be your answer.  Neal Schuman is publisher of most
recent ones.  Titles:  Building Reference Skills in the Elementary School
Motivation and the School Library Media Teacher
Designing Instruction for Diverse Abilities and the Library Media
      Teacher's Role
Library/Computer Lab'Classroom Connection  Linking Content Thinking
      Writing
Ready-to-go Reading Incentive Programs for Schools and Libraries
250+ Activities and Ideas for Developing Literacy Skills
You might also like Operating and Evaluating School Library Media
Programs
===============
I can't refer you to any research, as my brief foray into this topic ran
into a brick wall (I called UWM school of library science and they told
me none existed--I was looking for anything on programs for 3 and 4
year-olds in educational settings but not day care, research processes
included)but I would be interested in helping test theories (with my
three-year-olds through 2nd grade classes) and would love to know what
you find out.
===============
I successfully used the Big 6 and 6 Trait Writing approach(as leared in
a workshop at 1999 AASL Convention) with 2nd graders and their pond
reports this year. I combined that with a chart with columns across the
top for description, life cycle, home. and other interesting facts and
columns along the side for each book's bibliographic info (title,
author, copyright was all we required). The children used two fact books
looking in the forst to take notes on the topics across the top of the
chart and the second to add only new or different info to the various
columns. Then they closed the books and wrote paragraphs from the
various columns. Each topic becam a different page in a "flip booklet"
with each stepped page labeled--introduction (which they wrote after
they wrote the other paragraphs, as we described an introduction as
"telling your audience (classmates who have studied the pond) what you
are going to tell them that is new, interesting, or different than what
they may already know and making the intor an invitation to read
somehting interesting and exciting), description, life cycle, home,
misc., conclusion (tell your audience what you just told
them--summarize), and bibliography. The children scanned a picture from
one of the books for the cover (citing the source of the picture in a
text box right under it)and titled their booklet.The kids were very
successful using their own words (6 traits--word choice) and learning to
use note taking and the chart (6 traits--organizing their writing). We
found their writing reflected their personalities too (6 triats--voice).
--H