LM Netters,

Thanks once again for your informative responses.  I had several requests to
post hits, so I'm sending this out on the list.

Caty Micklewright
Lakeside Middle School
Evans, Georgia
cmicklewright@ccboe.net

I would say a full sized VHS unless you can jump to MINIDV  but I would
hold off for a couple of years if I could.  Full sized VHS Don't need
special tape can play back on almost all VCR Get a good Tripod also

Oskaloosa, Iowa

Hi,
    I prefer the full size camcorder because you can get longer lasting
batteries (2 hours) for about $75.00...I bought my camera and two extra 2
hour batteries at Sears...I also bought the insurance and take it in every
year just to get cleaned and maintained...I have used the small camcorders
and I don't like them....batteries don't last, you need a cartridge adapter
to view the tape that goes into a regular VCR which always gets misplaced.
The VHS camcorder is a little heavy and awkward but some things you have to
give up when you want the convenience of viewing the tape immediately with
no adapters, using the battery for a longer period of time.

Location Unknown

I had the same questions....I finally decided that we needed a full size
camcorder.  We needed the time that a full size can give you (2 hours) b/c
we often tape PTA programs, etc.  Our camcorder was going to be used on a
tripod most of time, so portability was not a problem.  We didn't want to
invest in another VCR format.

Bedford, VA

Caty:

I have one of the cameras that uses the smaller tapes. I would probably not
buy
it again. The problem is you have to have an adapter to play the tapes or to
dub over. These adapters are a little expensive and are constantly being
misplaced.  The tapes are also more expensive. They are good in that they
are
lighter weight and easy to carry around for taping, but I still prefer the
larger full-size camera.

Evans, Georgia

The 8mm requires an adapter to use the tape in a regular VCR and the tape is
shorter, requiring more tapes to record an event--or at least this used to
be the case.

Evans, Georgia

Caty,
My experience with school has always proved that the full size VHF works
best.  It eliminates one whole step of having to record the tape onto a VHF
tape.  Using an 8mm also requires longer use of the camera by an individual,
since they not only need it to record, but they also need it to record onto
a VHS tape.  That leaves it unavailable for others to use during that time.
In fact the only real advantage I see in the 8mm is the size of the camera.
I hope this makes sense.  Also, if kids are going to be using the camera, it
is a lot easier to hold the VHS camera steady than it is the smaller one.

Evans, Georgia

Caty,

Before I came to Columbia County I would use my own personal 8mm camcorder
because our school video camera was broken.  I found it a PAIN to have to
transfer those tapes to VHS (which seemed to always be the request) and just
extra work.  I know everything is going to smaller, but until all of our
VCRs
are changed I would go with the full size VHS.  Just one opinion.

Evans, Georgia

We prefer the full size. We have a smaller version but one teacher does a
video
yearbook and still borrows the full size because each child has brought in
his
own tape.

Evans, Georgia

I guess it would depend on what the majority of your VCR's take.  If
they take VHS then definitely get VHS.

Buena Park, CA

Colleagues:
Last year we used VHS-C cameras for our weekly news show. This year we have
full-size VHS cameras. The difference is unbelievable! Spend the extra
money and get the full-size cameras. Whenever you need to copy a tape you
will appreciate having the full-size tapes. Even if you never want to copy,
just having the ability to put two hours on a tape instead of 30 minutes.

Urbana, MO

Caty,
You should know that the full-size VHS tapes are, of course, the easiest
to just pop out of the camcorder and pop into a VCR (Panasonic makes a
good, industrial use camcorder for schools). IF you get the palm-type
camcorders, realize that the ones that take the VHS-C tapes CAN play in a
regular VCR. You just have to get an adapter (it's the size of a
full-sized VHS tape that you insert the smaller tape into) for about $30.
If you get the 8mm ones, there is NO SUCH TECHNOLOGY that allows you to
play the tape in a VCR. You must hook up the camera to the monitor in
order to be able to play the tapes. It's something to consider. I have the
full and VHS-C size here, but I won't buy the 8mm types.

Princeton, NJ

We find full size VHS is most useful to us because you can pop the tape into
any VCR to view.

South Carolina

Although I do not have a wealth of experience I can't imagine what a pain it
would be to try to mess with an 8mm.  You have to use the camera to play it
back and that is just that much more time that another teacher can't use the
camera.  We just bought a full size RCA with an LCD and it is really not
that big.

Michigan

8mm requires extra work.  8mm means hooking up the camera and recording the
tape to a VHS tape.  I don't have time and the teachers won't take the time.
 You do lose some quality.  I have never had luck with the tape that you
put the little cassette into then play.
VHS is tape and play.
Can you tell my choice?

Geneseo, Illinois

For ease of use, VHS is the best.  Pop it out of the camera and into a vcr.
 For quality, 8 mm is a lot better but you will have to transfer to a VHS
tape.  VHS tapes are a lot cheaper.  VHS cameras are a lot bigger and
heavier.  If you want picture quality and lightweight, go with 8mm.  If you
want no fuss, no muss, go with VHS.  Oh yeah - VHS cameras are usually a
lot cheaper too.

New York

For ease of use, VHS is the best.  Pop it out of the camera and into a vcr.
 For quality, 8 mm is a lot better but you will have to transfer to a VHS
tape.  VHS tapes are a lot cheaper.  VHS cameras are a lot bigger and
heavier.  If you want picture quality and lightweight, go with 8mm.  If you
want no fuss, no muss, go with VHS.  Oh yeah - VHS cameras are usually a
lot cheaper too.

Location Unknown

8mm gives you a wonderful picture, but the convince of the full VHS
always wins over (no converter needed).  I am currently using a VHS for a
weekly newscast and we are looking at the 8mm, but we must consider the
convenience factor.

Location Unknown

Caty,

We use 1-8mm, 3 VHS, and 1 S-VHS.  Our experience has been that some of our
teachers who do foreign language exchanges to other countries would prefer
the smaller 8mm cameras. Teachers and coaches doing mundane stuff prefer the
standard VHS stuff and new technologically competent folks want the
capability of the S-VHS hardware.

Location Unknown

Personally I prefer 8 mm because they are just lighter weight and easier
for kids (and me) to use.  Currently we have one of the big old hunkers
but hopefully our PTA will buy us an 8mm.

Springfield, Oregon

Caty,
It depends on what you are going to use the video tapes for. Most
schools(and homes) have standard VHS VCR's so you should buy a camcorder
that will be compatible with showing the tapes at school if that's what
you plan on doing, without having to attach a bunch of wires). Some
formats other than VHS have adapters that can be used to put the smaller
tapes into so you can show them on a standard VHS VCR but the adapters
tend to break, get lost etc. 8MM will give slightly better picture
quality but if it's being shown on older monitors/TV's you might not be
able to tell anyway. 8MM are usually smaller and therefore lighter to
carry but also harder to hold steady when filming because they don't
rest on your shoulder the way a full size VHS will. Hope this helps
some.
--
Hingham, Massachusetts

Do NOT get VHS-C.  What a pain.  Inferior quality and less tape just so you
can carry around a smaller camera.  NOT WORTH IT!  I would consider S-VHS
which is much better quality than VHS.  If you want small, nothing beats
the quality and portability of 8MM.  Just use the camcorder as your VCR.  I
love it.

California