Dear Friends,

I am looking for help on how to respond, as a library, to a very difficult
situation at our school.  Yesterday, three of our students were kidnapped on
the way to school.  They were being driven to school in a chauffeured car
owned by one of the students and the car never arrived.  At this time, no
one has any further information; the car and its occupants have just
disappeared (this is often normal in this kind of situation).  The
guerrillas in Colombia have, as all of you who keep up with the news know,
been very active, yet we are still unsure as to whether they are involved.
If it is the guerrillas, we would be one of the first schools to be hit.
The oldest student taken, a boy, is in 11th grade.  The other two, both
girls, are in 9th and 8th grades.  The school community is very upset, as
you can well imagine.

We are putting up a bulletin board in the library with pictures of the three
along with a space for kids to post messages.  I am looking for a nice quote
or poem we might be able to use here.  As well, I am looking for other ways
in which we may respond.  I want to keep people aware of what has happened.
I have lived here for 11 years and am married to a Colombian with a son in
Kindergarten.  I have seen a number of parents from the school kidnapped,
and I know that with kids growing up in this atmosphere, the greatest fear
is from forgetting.  Therefore, I would also be interested in long term
activities or responses.  Many of these situations are not resolved for
months.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Tom Rompf

Thomas David Rompf