From: "ishwarla.joshi" <ishwarla.joshi@neomin.org>
Subject: HIT: Electronic Art pictures- Hundreds
estion for books or websites concerning
my question.  My original question was:
Every year the 7th grade in my school has a debate between the Loyalists
and the Patriots concerning separation from the mother country, England.
We have many books written from the standpoint of the Patriots, but
would like to find books written with the Loyalists' viewpoint.  The books
I have found so far are out of print or too scholarly for middle
schoolers.

(I did some more searching on the Internet and simply typing in
"Loyalists"
brings up a wealth of sites, many dealing with genealogy and tracing
one's Loyalist ancestors.  There is "A Loyalist Bibliography" at
http://www.magma.ca/~ekipp/loybib.htm
but many of the books may be out of print.
As far as bookstores go, I remember browsing through a wonderful
store at Independence Hall in Philadelphia, run by the National Park
Service, with many books of varying levels on the Revolution.)
Here are the responses I received, with many thanks again! J. Bergson
I know of one great title- Katie's Trunk.  I don't know the author, but I
recently ordered it on titlewave.  I read this story to one of my 5th
grade
classes and then had a "hot seat" where one of my students took the role
of Katie in the book and her classmates were able to ask her questions
about her feelings, etc.

(This answer is from the David Library of the American Revolution in
Washington
 Crossing, PA:
In order to find loyalist material that is in print, I would suggest you
do a
keyword search on "loyalists" at either Amazon.com or bn.com and see
what you come up with -- there are plenty of titles still in print.  Many
deal
 with specific states, but there should be a couple more general studies
available
 that your students would find interesting.
Cordially,  Rachel
Rachel K. Onuf Research Associate  David Library of the American
Revolution
P.O. Box 748   Washington Crossing, PA  18977  215.493.6776
Sorry, I don't have book suggestions but this Web site might provide
useful print outs. Maybe you'll find a bit of useful information at:
http://users.erols.com/candidus/index.htm
and http://users.erols.com/candidus/music.htm
This site concerns the Loyalist point of view in Maryland.

(The Candidus site provides a list of book picks on the American
Revolution and British Military History, several of which might
be good, but hard to tell without looking at them. J.Bergson)
I have two titles to suggest:  The Keeping Room -- can't recall the author
but it's fairly recent.  The other is The King's Rangers by John Brick.  A
little older, but good readers could handle it.  It's old, though --
copyright 1954.  A good read, though!  Good luck!
Two novels come to mind.  "Early Thunder," by Jean Fritz is about a
boy and his family and friends in Salem, Ma.  He begins as a Loyalist,
later becomes a Patriot.  His friend's family remains Loyalist and has
to leave Salem.  "My Brother Sam is Dead," by the Colliers is about
a family split apart by divided loyalties.  They live in Ct.  The father
is a Loyalist and suffers for it, the brother Sam is a patriot.  Young
Tim is torn.
We've done the same debate and have found the Opposing Viewpoints books
helpful. These are from Greenhaven Press (I think...could be Greenwood.
I'm
at home and can't check). Look for Opposing Viewpoints on American History
or one just on the Revolution.
I have been in a school that attempted to do the same thing - difficult
point of view to defend.  The only thing I used once was Opposing
Viewpoints book - on the Revolutionary War.  Would like to know what you
come up with as I need to add to the collection too.

Jacqueline Bergson, Library Assistant
Rippowam Cisqua School
Bedford, NY
jackie@nemra.org

Art.com is a wholly owned subsidiary of Getty Images, Inc.
-offers wonderful selection of Hundreds of electronic ART pictures.
-Keyword searching
-Send a FREE ArtCard

  Point your browser to: www.art.com

Ish Joshi, librarian