Greetings,
Many people requested that I share the parody of "If you give a mouse a
cookie".  We are planning a September presentation for our school board.
This was used for a presentation to the board in Bensalem, P.A. and I thank
Karen Stevens for finding it and sharing it.  I'm concerned that the
executive of our local union feels we shouldn't present anything to the
board until we have first presented it to them.  We can't be seen as
advocating for increased staffing.  I think the board needs to know what
the staffing of our libraries is, the fact that we have no aids and don't
get subs until we are sick the fourth day.  Anyway, for now we are aiming
for positive P.R.

If you give a child a book, he's going to want to read it.
And as he reads, he's going to think about what he's reading.
And as he thinks, he's going to recall what he already knows and similar
experiences he's had.
And as he thinks about those experiences, he's going to want to write.
And as he writes, he's going to want to talk to his friends and share his
thoughts and ideas with them I you give a child a book...literacy lessons
for teachers

And as he talks with others, he's going to want to learn and discover more.
So, chances are he'll find another book to read,
And then another,
And another.
And as he reads more books, he'll discover books that make him smile,
laugh, cry, angry, curious, frustrated, contented, thoughtful, happy.
And then, as time passes,
He'll become a lifelong reader.
        by Pamela J. Farris

This poem was inspired by Laura Joffe Numeroff's book, "If you give a mouse
a cookie," illustrated by Felicia Bond (New York: Harper, 1985)

from The Reading Teacher, vol 49, No. 5 (Febrary 1996), p. 384.

We used it at a School Board meeting where we presented an overview of the
library-media program using a Power-Point format, then one of the
librarians read from a Big Book of If you give a mouse a cookie and then
another read this. We also gave each board member a sugar cookie made with
a mouse cookie cutter and decorated to look like the mouse in the pictures.

Randi Louise Hermans
Teacher-librarian
East Chilliwack Elementary
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada