These are the responses to my inquiry on censored book lists, reasons and
places the challenges took place.

Once again, this group proves to be invaluable.  There are lots of lists but
these sites add the other info I was interested in.  Most responses
mentioned the ALA's Banned Books yearly document.  I had forgotten it.  Most

You may want to try this site
http://www.booksatoz.com/censorship/banned.htm

I have several links on a page at GHS Online. Go to
http://ghs.bcsd.k12.il.us/resources/hitlist/
and select Authors . A list will pop up for you to select from.

Banned Books Online Lots of great links.
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/banned-books.html

Christian Science Monitor Information on why particular books have been
challenged
http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/1998/05/19/fp55s2-csm.htm

Table of Contents for the File Room where you can browse through case files
http://simr02.si.ehu.es/FileRoom/documents/TofCont.html

Each year ALA puts together a booklet with Banned Books Week information
that has exactly the information you want.

I think Bloomington Public Library might have the information you need.
They have a display on this every year, and I believe that I saw a list like
you want.

The "American Libraries" news archive at
http://www.ala.org/alonline/news/oldnews.html
can be searched with "banned" or "challenge*" and produces quite a list. It
takes a little more digging after it gives you the initial hit list, but all
the details of the challenges reported are in there.

Try this website from MIT Press Bookstore
http://www-mitpress.mit.edu/bookstore/banned.html
It lists a selection of challenged or banned books with locations and
reasons. Maybe the webmaster at that website could give you additional
information.

<Banned in the USA: a reference guide to book censorship in schools and
public libraries> by Herbert N. Foerstel is a great resource for censorship
info. It has most of the info you need on the major censorship cases of the
late 20th century, as well as lists of censored books and interviews with
censored authors.

Intellectual Freedom Newsletter  from ALA.

Thanks for all the help.  Some of these sites are truly exceptional and I am
incorporating this info into my PowerPoint presentation.  Again, my
gratitude to this list.

Carolyn Roys
J. D. Darnall Senior High School Teacher/Librarian
Geneseo, Il 61254
crroys@hotmail.com
http://libby.rbls.lib.il.us/ghs/