Thanks for your recommendations.  I was looking for a reliable camera with
good sound pickup.

********

I've had good luck w/ the Sony Mavica.  It has still photo and digital
video capabilities, and sells for under $1000.
<hessian3@preferred.com>

********

Suggest to the folks at the historical society that they also budget for a
good, unidirectional microphone to plug into their camera to bypass the
condenser, omnidirectional mic in the camera. The camera's mic will pick up
a lot of the ambient noise around the camera operator as well as the audio
coming from the object of their video. This weakens the audio they are most
interested in hearing. A pleasant byproduct of this is that taping can now
be a two-person job: camera operator, and a sound person to set up, or aim
the mic where its needed.
<mswist@asij.ac.jp>

*********

<lstrauss@myhost.com>
We recently bought the Sony Handycam with the Zeiss lens.  It's kind of
expensive but tiny, light, and has great pictures and sound.

*********

<JPOWER@gh.gcsd.k12.sc.us>
The Panasonic AG456-U is what I'd recommend. It is a fullsized S-VHS
camcorder with professional features and a terrific mic.  We are lobbying
for one here.  Being full sized, it may be a little heavy w/o tripod, but
picture and sound quality are superior to anything else.  It will also be
steadier than the VHS-C palmcorders.

*********

<Johnsonj@aea15.k12.ia.us>
Unless your close to the speaker and don't have much ambient sound, they
(any camera with out extra mic) will not do a good job of picking up sound.
My opinion - cameras need tripods if they will not use them get one with
electronic stablaization.  Without training, they will be disapointed in
what they are getting.

**********

<PSALESSES@EOSmith.org>
I've never been disappointed with a Panasonic camcorder. Of course the
closer you get to the subject the better the sound quality.  Some vendors
actually sell a camcorder wireless mike system. Get back to me if you are
interested.

   Susan Fonseca                Glenwood School (K-9)
   Teacher-Librarian            51 Blenheim Avenue
   <sfonseca@mbnet.mb.ca>       Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
   Fax # (204)256-0616          R2M 0H9

 "I will love the light for it shows me the way. Yet I will endure the darkness
  for it shows me the stars." -Og Mandino