Hello, All:

Thank you to everyone who responded to my query regarding good elementary
school biographies.

The most often recommended books, by far, are the David Adler Picture Book
Biographies.

What follows is the complete list of responses.  (Note:  these were cut &
pasted out of the original messages.)

Thanks to everyone!

David Adler's Picture Book Biographies published by
Holiday House.

Mike Venezia's Getting to Know the World's Greatest  Artists and World's
Greatest  Composers.

I highly recommend all the Jean Fritz titles(RL4)

There's a series about the childhood lives of famous Americans
(RL3-4)mostly written by Augusta Stevenson.

Chelsea House has series on  World leaders past and present, black americans
of achievement and American women of achievement (and probably others)..I'd
consider ethnic composition of my school, curriculum needs (if they study
presidents, get president bios etc)

_Wilma Unlimited_.  It is in picture book format, works as a read-aloud, and
is very inspiring.

Gary Paulsen, My Life in Dog Years--older kids love it

Photobiographies by Russell Freedman

George, Abraham, Martin, Christopher, popular authors, and then consider what
historical time periods your teachers cover or things like Black History
Month, Women's History Month and get an assortment of people from that, and
although many would probably disagree with me...the ones that get checked out
the most often are the sports heroes and current singers, actors, famous
people they are interested in.

Here is a web site featuring picture book biographies put together by a
librarian on the pubyac list.
http://www.geocities.com/dimatulka/biographies.html

Pop stars like Brittany Spears and current sports figures
in baseball, football, basketball and perhaps wrestling.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT ABDO FOR PRIMARY BIOGRAPHIES.  THEY HAVE
SEVERAL SETS OF BIOS OF THE PRESIDENTS OF THE US.  GOOD SOURCE-INDEX
INCLUDED

R. Shtulman
Erving Elementary School
28 Northfield Road