Thanks to everyone who has sent me advice on working in a Middle School
library. I've had several requests to post a hit, so here it is!
#1 - Middle School students are wonderful!  It's such an
exciting time in their
lives and they can be voracious readers because they
have so many interests
at this age.  Our library is a "hang out".  They are
here before school,
after school and in between classes.  I love to get
new book orders in,
because I have a huge group gathered around oohing and
aahing and going
through boxes.  I also ask groups to come in during
Homebase period
occasionally to help me go through preview orders and
choose books.  This
is a big honor, it seems.  I always have kids asking
to be called in to
help choose books.

I also have Library Aides each hour.  Students must be
8th graders, be
willing to give up an elective, and have decent grades
(although I always
take on some at risk kids each semester that need the
extra attention).
Library Aides deliver messages, shelve books, etc.
7th graders are signing
up now for Library Aide.  I have 2 full pages of names
of students who have
asked to be Library Aides.  You're going to enjoy the
energy these kids
bring.

I've made a decision to commit our library to
fostering a love of books and
lifetime reading and learning.  That has meant that
our library is not a
quiet one most of the time, but it is a favorite place
to be and the
exchanges that take place here is wonderful for our
students.  Good luck.
I'll add more later as I get time

#2-Just a quick word---you will have a ball.
Middlers are so much fun!
     I loved teaching fourth grade and I enjoyed high
school kids, but this
     is the best!

#3-What I have learned after two years in a middle school is to be as
positive
and pleasant as possible. Although there are rules that need to be
followed,
I accomplish more with a smile on my face than with a heavier attitude.
Avoid
too much sarcasm but do show a sense of humor. And they can't remember
anything!! Good Luck. I love our middle school.

#4-keep a sense of humor...keep a sense of humor...keep a sense of
humor...keep
a sense of humor...

#5-Don't be rigid.  Learn to roll with the punches and to choose your
battles well.  Above all, listen.  The kids of this age need people to
listent to them.  I love this age group.  They are really reading and
appreciate gentle guidance in helping them select material.  Keep up
with literature!

--
Sandra McCorkle, LMS
Flower Mound Elementary