Hi,

Here is my hit list for elementary school teachers on
suggestions on how to properly take care of library
books.

Thanks so much for responding to my message for all
involved.  I appreciate it!!!!

Thanks,
Brenda Latting
GSLIS at Queens College

Response one

I use Hilda Hen's Search   to show that books need a
special place at
home to keep them safe just like Hilda needed a
special, safe place to
lay her eggs.

I have a set of posters I got from Highsmith that I
use with students.
They each have a picture and a little poem about one
or two things to
keep books save.

Dora's Book by Edwards is good to show how much effort
goes into making
a book.  I link this to how important it is to keep
books in good
shape.

Mr. Wiggle is a small paperback book.  Mr. Wiggle is a
bookworm who is
upset over the bad treatment a book has received.  I
can't locate my
copy right now but if your interested I'll dig it out
and  find the
author and publisher.

There is also a video I like to use called Be A Book
Buddy.  It is a
combination liveaction and claymation.   It is
expensive but the kids
seems to enjoy it.

Response 2
Bren...I have not found anything that specific...but
here are some titles that can lead to book care
discussions.  I use these in a k-1 school.

I took my frog to the library..Kimmel
Library Dragon
Librarian from the black lagoon
Library Lil

Response 3

I like The Library Dragon by Deedy
         Library Lil by Williams

Respone 4

I don't have a book idea for you, but when I started
my job I read a
posting
(or it might have been in a book) about having a "No,
No, Never Box."
In this
box I keep books that have been damaged. I get them
out one at a time
and the
kids decide what happened to it (if possible), and
then they come up
with (or
I come up with) a question for that book, such as
"Should you ever eat
while
reading your book?" The rest of the kids answer "NO,
NO, NEVER!" I
thought it
sounded kind of corny, but they love it. I actually
damaged some books
that I
had weeded my first year to supplement my box... Don't
tell the kids I
actually colored in a book myself! I also put some
other props in the
box,
such as a picture of a baby, a pair of scissors, a
packet of ketchup,
and a
stuffed dog. The kids come up with the rules that go
with each prop.
They
love being able to come up and draw something out of
the box.

Response 5
I am not sure are you looking for suggestions as to
how to teach
book
care?  If you are, I will share what has been
successful for me with
kindergarten and first graders.  We all enjoy it!
    I show a very damaged book and we all discuss how
that might have
happened. I note that some of them are taking such
good care of their
books
and suggest that they probably know a lot about how to
do that well.  I
invite them to play a fun pretend game.
    I ask them to imagine that they are librarians and
I am a person
who
might not know too much about how to care for books.
If they see me
doing
simething with book that is NOT a good way to care for
it they are to
say
all together "No, no! Never, never! "  We practice
that together - it's
like
a little chant.
    Then with props I demonstrate the incorrect way to
handle books:  I
get
out a marker and start to write my name in the book
because I like it
so
much, I say I'm going to leave the book where my baby
sister can look
at it,
I start to mark my place by bending over the edges of
the page, I start
balance it on my head for fun, and - the best - I
start to get out my
sticky
peanut butter and jelly sandwich to eat while reading.
 Each time they
chant
"No, no! Never, never! "  and I get one to tell me why
I should not do
that
thing.
    At the end we can review all the right ways to
keep our books
looking
fresh and ready to enjoy.

Response 6
For Early Childhood, Pre-K, Kindergarten, and First
Graders, we check
out
library books in 2 1/2 gallon ziplock bags to keep the
books clean and
dry.  With so many children carrying their lunches in
their backpacks
as
well as the popularity of water bottles in backpacks,
we have saved
many of
our books from being wet or from having juice spilled
on them from
lunch
boxes.
         One problem we continue to have is that of
younger brothers
and
sisters scribbling in the books our students check
out.  Unfortunately,
many times because of the volume of books we
circulate, it is not
possible
for us to check each book before it is checked in.
Once it is checked
in,
we lose the name of the child who last checked it out,
so we have many
books that have to be discarded because of the extent
of the damage.  I
look forward to any information I can get from your
HIT about how to
prevent this from happening.

Response 7

I use Mr. Wiggle's Book.  I think I got it from
Highsmith.
I also have some books that I have kept over the years
that show
various
types of damage--fire, water, scribbles, etc. to
display.  Students are
horrified at the plight of these poor books.
I show them the various tapes, glues, etc. I use to
mend hurt books as
well.
I have my son's little Fisher-Price dr. bag full of
scotch tape,
Elmer's
glue, glue sticks, the stethoscope that comes with it,
etc. and we talk
about how none of those things will help a library
book when it is
hurt...that the librarian has special tools.  Maybe
one day I will even
get
a white "doctor's" coat to wear during this lesson if
I can think to
borrow
one ahead of time.
I also have a long slim board book with a baby's face
peeking out of
the top
(attached to a paint stick).  I have it wrapped up in
a baby blanket
and it
even has a diaper on.  We talk about how a book is
like a baby:
Would you leave your baby in the rain?
Would you scribble on your baby?
etc.