Well I asked the list several weeks ago for ideas and I want to thank those
few that responded. I know we're almost at the end of a very busy year and I
appreciate the folks that took time out to respond. Rather than posting a
hit of those few responses I thought I would let y'all know what I finally
did.
Since I'm leaving Epstein AND the students were looking forward to a treat
for reading 2000 books I decided that we would have a field trip! Of course,
since it's the library we didn't physically go anywhere except in our
imaginations. I brought in a dome tent and set it up in the reading corner.
As the students came in I welcomed them to Summer Camp and they got into the
tent. As they sat down I related the day's activities: we got up and had
breakfast, then we practiced archery skills, we then went horseback riding,
we had a picnic lunch under the trees, we had our arts and crafts activity
after lunch, then went swimming, cooked dinner over an open fire, had
S'mores for dessert and now it was bedtime - the campfire had died down and
we were out in the woods in our tent ready for bed. And what do we love to
do at bedtime when at summer camp? Tell Ghost Stories!! I used several
collections of spooky tales (age appropriate), used a flashlight to read by
(all lights out in the reading corner) and read to them. After the story
they all closed their eyes for the journey back to the media center. When
they filed out of the tent I told them they couldn't leave Epstein without
getting a couple of kisses from Mrs. Grigsby - as they left I handed them
each 2 Hershey's kisses.
Simple idea, simply executed but the kids really enjoyed it! I had fun too!
Hope this gives some of you some cool ideas. Have a great summer, everybody
(even though mine is still 2 weeks away)!

Susan Grigsby, LMS
The Epstein School, Atlanta Georgia
sgrigsby@epstein-atl.org

What is hateful to you, do not to another: this is the whole Torah, the rest
is commentary.  Hillel.