Gift materials are subjected to the same scrutiny
as purchased materials--
same reviewing etc.

Gifts are accepted with the understanding that those resources which
meet
the standards set forth in our acquisitions policy or which in some
unique
way will enhance the collections will be retained.  Other resources
will be
disposed of in whatever manner is determined to be the most suitable,
such
as gifts to other libraries or non-profit institutions, exchanges for
needed resources of equal value or sales, with the money to be used for
the
purchase of resources.

Because of the function and space of the facility, no promise can be
made
to maintain a collection or group as a single entity segregated from
the
circulating, reference or media collections.  We reserve the right to
make
the decision as to the appropriate use and housing of a gift
collection.

Individual resources will be identified by a bookplate or other
identification device.  A collection of resources, accepted because of
size
and value, may be identified by a specifically designed marker.

The Librarian cannot act as an appraiser.  All gifts are acknowledged.
This acknowledgment may include a list of gift items and official form
be used for income tax purposes.

We don't have a written policy, but I tell donors when they call me
that I
will accept their gift with the understanding that all materials may
not
go into the library collection.  In some cases I will send materials
directly to departments if I feel the teachers could use them better
that
way (high level math and science books, for instance).

We have not had anyone really upset about this policy.

I do have two incidents to tell you about though:

One parent sent us a subscription to the NRA  monthly magazine
(American
Rifleman or something like that).  I accepted it, looking at it as
providing balanced information and we displayed it on our magazine
rack.
The father came in on parents night and yelled at me because he
couldn't
find back issues of the magazine - they had all been stolen (which
didn't
bother me a bit).

Another time our Curriculum Coordinator got the bright idea that she
would
put an ad in the school newsletter that goes to all the taxpayers,
soliciting donations.  We got the contents of everybody's attic and
basement.  We wrote thank you letters for their tax returns, but I
tossed
furiously!   Things smelled.  It was awful.

At times, we have solicited for copies of magazines and the community
has
been kind in responding to our needs, but with the online databases,
we
don't need to do that any more.

Its a public relations thing.  Take the approach that you will decide
the
appropriate use of the material based on the curriculum, reading
level,
etc.  I've even given some items to the local university and public
libraries for their gifts and exchange lists, so there are options.
But
don't make it your new life's work, either.

Gift materials shall be judged and accepted or rejected on the basis of
the
criteria in Section IV.  The librarian shall, with the approval of the
principal, reject, return, or discard gifts that are unsuitable for
school
use.  Extreme discretion shall be used in applying the criteria to
special
interest and commercially developed materials that have as their
purpose
benefits accruing to their sponsors.

IV. Criteria for Selection of Materials

A. Materials selected for use in the ... school(s) shall be selected
for the
strengths rather that rejected for their weaknesses.  Selected
materials
shall conform to the following criteria as they apply:

1. Materials shall support and be consistent with district goals and
curricular objectives.
2. Materials shall meet high standards of quality in factual content
and
presentation.
3. Materials shall be appropriate for the subject area and for the
developmental stage of students for whom the materials are selected.
4. Materials shall have aesthetic, literary, and/or social value.
5. Materials shall exhibit competent authorship and suitable physical
format
and quality.  Nonprint materials should be of acceptable technical
quality,
i.e., they should have clear narration and sound, synchronized pictures
and
sound and be readable, i.e., typographically well-balanced.
6. Materials shall foster respect for all people, especially minority
and
ethnic groups, and shall represent realistically our pluralistic
society.
7. Materials shall be designed to help students gain an awareness and
understanding of the contributions made to our civilization by all
persons,
including women and minority and ethnic groups.
8. Materials shall clarify objectively the multiple historical and
contemporary forces with their economic, political and religious
dimensions
which have operated to the disadvantage or advantage of all persons,
including women, and minority and ethnic groups.  (In special cases,
materials containing biased or slanted points of view may be selected
meet certain specific curriculum objectives.)
9. Materials concerned with racial, religious, sexual or ethnic
differences
shall be free from stereotype, caricature, and other characteristics
likely
to misrepresent, offend or defame particular segments of the
population.
10. Materials concerning religion shall be free from intention to
indoctrinate beliefs of any one faith, or to belittle any other.
11. Materials shall be designed to motivate students and staff to
examine
their own attitudes and behaviors and to comprehend their own duties,
responsibilities, rights and privileges as participating citizens in a
pluralistic, non-sexist society.

B. Materials treating controversial issues will be selected on the
basis of
their ability to provide students a balanced perspective concerning
current
events, education, government, history, politics, or any other phase
of
life.

We accept any gift with the understanding that we are free to decide
what to
do with it--whether to add it to the collection, give it away, or toss
it.
IMHO, no gift should be accepted without that understanding.

Only if it fits the curriculum, is age appropriate and is not too old.

I am always happy to receive gifts, with the proviso that if the
materials
are not appropriate or not useful to the library, I will find another
more
appropriate home for them.  I offer many to the classrooms (paperbacks
and
duplicates); I donate to the local literacy advocates; I may visit the
used
bookstore to sell them, but this is seldom really costeffective; or I
find a
creative solution if one of these doesn't work.  This policy is stated
in my
Collection Development Policy which has been approved by the
administration.

I have worked as a LMS at 3 schools (one K-6, two K-8).  None of the
schools has had a formal policy re: gifts.  My informal policy is:

1.    Used books are accepted only if the donor is comfortable with
knowing that the used books will be added to the collection only if
needed and in good condition.  All other books will be offered to
classroom teachers for their use.  Leftovers will be donated to
charity
(e.g., Goodwill).

2.    People who want to donate new books are told the same:  if
unsolicited new books are donated, they will only be added to the
collection if appropriate.  Otherwise, books will go to classrooms or
charity.

3.    People who want to donate a specific title are encouraged to
donate money, and I order the book.  That way I can get the book
pre-processed, with a reinforced binding, etc.

4.    I put a bookplate in each donated hardcover book with donor's
name
and date.

Our policy is to tell the donor that if the library can use any of the
books, they will be put on the shelf. I follow my regular guidelines
for
appropriateness.  Then if any are left, they are put out for the
teachers and staff to go through.  After that, if any are left they
are
held for our Parent Garage Sale.  If the donor does not agree to this,
they take them back.

Jennie E. Ver Steeg
Education Liaison Librarian
207 Founders Memorial Library
Northern Illinois University
De Kalb, Illinois 60115
voice 815-753-1351
fax 815-753-2003
jversteeg@niu.edu
floodhover@hotmail.com

Compute-Ed: an electronic journal of learning and teaching with and
about technology. Find it at:  computed.coe.wayne.edu

"Many are cold, but few are frozen."

Joy Ver Steeg