The program I downloaded was JPEG Optimizer, recommended on one of the
newsgroups.  I tried it out on a number of files and it reduced JPGs from
54 to 97%, so it seemed such a wonderful thing for Linda and I.  We both
are quite into graphic files.  Linda tried it out on her computer and ended
up posting a suggestion to a friend on the clip-art newsgroup.
Fortunately, the friend was one of those gurus and immediately send a note
on it, calling it spyware and explaining that it can ONLY be uninstalled by
going to
<http://grc.com/oo/program.htm > where Linda got further explanation.  It
took her three times to completely remove the parts - that's closing down
the computer three times!

It appears that there are a number of such programs that are distributed
and which has a script that returns information to another person, this one
turning over the information only to sponsors of the pages (or something
like that) and as quantitative data.  Other such programs, however, turn
the information over with specific details and not necessarily to a
specified group.

According to Linda, who checked the jpg of some of the pictures, JPEG
Optimizer does leave some tags in the file of each picture, although it
could only be used to "advertise" that the picture has been optimized by
this program and not spread anything elsewheres unless the person goes
ahead and downloads the program.

One letter I got recommended that I read the Tourbus issue on spyware
which, she said, urged that it was nothing to really worry about.

I don't use many programs nor do I download many off the 'Net.  If I could
be caught this easily, I wonder about others who do more downloads.

Earl
Earl P Sande
Elementary School Librarian
Director of Library Services