Hi, All,

I did not ask the following intending to post a HIT, but had several requests to
see my results.

The original request--I'd like to use book characters' or authors' names (rather
than simply number) for the five tables in the lesson area of my library. In the
past, they have been numbered 1-5, and the students are assigned to sit at a
certain table all year. I'd like to avoid both the monotony of numbering the tables
and assigning seats, but it gets old to say, "Go sit at the table by the windows,
go sit at the table by the chalkboards, etc."

So, my question is: If you had only five names to pick, which would you choose?
Many thanks for your suggestions.

The results tabulated from the collective wisdom of our LM_NET:

Alcott
Aldo Applesauce
Amber Brown (2)
Amelia Bedelia (3)
Arthur (9)
Babar
Bartholomew
Baum
Beezus and Ramona
Berenstain Bears
Judy Blume
Marc Brown
Burnett
Cam Jansen (2)
Captain Underpants
Caspian
Cat in the Hat
Charlotte the Spider (5)
Chrysanthemum
Beverly Cleary (2)
Clifford (10)
Corduroy (3)
Curious George (5)
Dewey
Dickens
Encyclopedia Brown (2)
Frances
Franklin (4)
Frodo
Frog and Toad
Fudge Hatcher (3)
Galadriel
George and Martha,
Harry Potter (5)
Hazel (Watership down)
Henry and Mudge
Henry Huggins
Horrible Harry
Laura Ingalls
Jack (of the Appalachian Jack Tales)
James (of Giant Peach fame)
Junie B. Jones (3)
Stephen Kellogg
King Bidgood
Kipling
Little Bear
Lyle
Madeline (5)
Mercer Mayer
Martin the Warrior
MAX
Max and Ruby
Merlin
Mother Goose
Nate the Great (2)
Ogden Nash
Oliver Pig
Paulsen
Peter
Piglet (or Wol, if you want to encourage a scholarly tone);
Pokemon
Patricia Polacco
Pooh
Ramona (7)
Sheila Tubman
Dr. Seuss (4)
Shiloh (2)
Spot
Stellaluna (2)
Stuart
Sunstripe (the Badger)
Swimmy -
Sylvester (and the Magic Pebble)
Twain
E.B. White
Wilbur the Pig (3)

Other members offered pre-grouped sets of five (You guys are the BEST!):
Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera, Akela, Shere Khan
Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf, Merry, Pippin (or perhaps
Gollum - And seat all the
little Gollums there ;) ?)
Ahlberg, Byars, Cleary, Dahl, Escott
Winnie, Tigger, Piglet, Kanga, Eeyore(my faves)
Arthur - D. W. - Buster - The Brain - Francine - Muffy
Harry Potter (who else?, for a theme, you could also use:  Hermione Granger,
Ron Weasley, Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall
Hogwarts Houses

Some other general comments regarding the idea/process:
Might be fun to have all animal characters!

I would be careful about giving the tables all "boy" names or all "girl names....I
would laminate a cover from one of the books to stick in the center of each table -
maybe you could even make it so it stands up. Here's another idea - perhaps this
breaks copyright laws- but you could make a color copy of each book cover and use
it!

4-6 I'd use "Hogwarts" and the 4 house names. I'd change them every year because I
think the students would look forward to seeing what the new names would be.

The "Story Stars" I teach youngsters about are:
Clifford, Little Critter, Strega Nona, Curious George, Harold (and the Purple
Crayon), Hairy Maclary (from Donaldson's Dairy).

I had a contest and let the kids vote/pick. Just a thought.

We have a gardening and recycling program at my elementary site.  Part of the
program involves composting lunch leftovers into worm bins (big wooden boxes).  We
named them Cat in the Hat, Pippi, Harry Potter, and Amelia Bedelia.  On the front
of each box is painted an appropriate logo (stripped hat, red braids, lightening
bolt, and apron).  Might work for you too...

I, too, have five tables and I use the five major sections of books--Fiction,
Non-Fiction, Biography, E-Everybody (picture books), and Reference.  I felt a
little funny doing it at first, about 5 years ago, but it has really worked out
well.  The students hear the words all the time and see the words in print. I try
to give the name to the table nearest that section [and when I have a question that
concerns that section, try to call on the students sitting at that table- pointedly
mentioning that I picked a student from that section to
answer the question--hint, hint--so that they'd know the answer was the same as the
name of their table].  For a few years, I tried to get more sophisticated with the
two older grades (4th & 5th) and invented names for their tables that corresponded
to what we would be learning more about [Index, Table of Contents,
Bibliography...tables, or Almanac, Bartlett's Quotations, Guinness Book of World
Records...tables, but it was just too much and not as effective as the original 5
and I'm back to that for all three grades this year.

Will you post a hit?  I'd love to see how the votes come out! :)

Please let me know what people have suggested.  I like your idea and I might use
it.  Thanks.

Please send me the top 5 replies.

What I ended up doing--I held a school-wide vote.  This kids nominated characters
(had to be BOOK characters first, i.e., no Pokemon or Barbie, etc. that do have
books but were commercial characters first). I typed up a list and the kids voted.
Here are their picks.  I used a bit of executive decision and decided to name the
winners in categories: author, book title, boy character, girl character,
non-person character.  I plan to keep these names for this year since we just got
the labels on, but next year will hold the voting twice.  I
got pictures of all the characters off the web, printed them, mounted them on
construction paper, and laminated them before taping them to the tables.  As
expected the tape is being peeled up at the corners, but I just use a razor blade
to slice off the tape and/or replace the tape as needed and since they are
laminated underneath, I can reuse the signs.

OUR TOP FIVE ARE:
Author--Shel Silverstein (17)
Book Title--Cat in the Hat (30)
Boy Character--Harry Potter (101)